1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wright standers and leaves

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HazellLawnCare, Oct 19, 2006.

1. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I am probably going to purchase 3 or 4 Wright standers this winter and I was wondering how well they bag?
  2. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

I remember a post were somebody had trouble sucking up leaves with one. I think it was in the just starting in business forum
  3. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive been sucking up leaves today with one. Its by no means a Walker, but it will work in a pinch. I can't get the bagger very full. I have the Grass Gobbler with the Leaf gobbler attachment. There is a new bagger out for the Stander that is supposed to be better. If its all you have to bag leaves with, its not going to be the best.
  4. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought you were getting out of the business and going into nascar?
  5. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe since Toyota is going to join Nascar this year, Wright manufacturing is introducing a new "ride" for the 2008 season and he is doing testing..

6. HazellLawnCare

I am working for a NHRA/IHRA drag racing team. I will have 3 days a week though that I can make me some extra money. If the business gets big enough I will just manage it like I have done my current one.
  7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

My Stander bags great....I use an accellerator bagger...... it destroys leaves with the meg-mos.......

8. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Do a seach on this one. Their are some not well known bagging systems for the standers where the collection system sits on top of the deck and dumps by pulling the handle. No need to dismount or lug a heavy metal side bagger. Not sure on how well they hold up but worth checking out.
  9. HazellLawnCare

Ok how about just bagging grass? We have bagged most of our grass in the past and I was wondering if they do very well.
  10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I find that if the leaves are really dry and crunchy, it's best to go over them with the mulch plate first.Then put the bagger and extension on, and go over the entire yard. You get probably 85-90% of the mulched leaves, and when going over them the second time, the particles are about like dust in the lawn. We do this on some of our smaller to medium residentials. On commercials and large residential, it's backpacks, leafplow and truck loader time.

As far as bagging grass, I think the grassgobbler bag does quite well. I mean, it was designed for the Standers' use after all,lol. We just did a one time cut for a maintenance client yesterday, because her lawn boy broke her mower a month ago and hasn't been able to mow her lawn. It was about 7-8" and more in some places, and we used the baggers(frequently dumping), and even in damp , tall grass, we had very good end results. Usually the baggers are only on the trailer for first time cuts or cleanups, as we use single Raptor blades with factory installed mulch kits all the time with great results. For all you guys with Standers, I met a lady at Expo who is selling Marbain hardened blades. They don't have a specific one for Wrights yet, but if you can match up the blade, they have them available. http://www.tracksplus.com