Wright Standers at 20% off list price

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turftiger2, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Turftiger2

Turftiger2 LawnSite Member

Has anyone taken advantage of this offer? Sounds to good to me was thinking if waiting till spring to buy one. After seeing this my plans have changed. Go to Wrightmfg.com and check it out.

2. burninbill

burninbill LawnSite Member

I had a demo unit of the sentar and thought it way to sensitive on the controls. The unit was comfortable as can be(comparing to my turftiger), had a very clean cut, liked to deck adjustment, but thought it was way to sensitive for the speed that it has. I mean this thing will flat out fly, however I couldn't get a steady speed to keep the thing straight. My stripes looked very bad(all wavy). But it does have a slower position you can put it into but I couldn't get the gadget to undo to make the adjustment. If you can slow the thing down and get used to the controls it would be a great mower. If you need trailer space this is a great idea.

Better demo before you buy and you really want to put a good 3 or 4 hours on it before you make your decisions.

Jon Walker
    cutting edge lawn and landscape

3. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, Our local dealer has the 36inch stander for 4,100. We plan on getting one before they go back up.

4. Willoscape

Willoscape LawnSite Member

Just purchased 2 52"w 19h.p. electric start models. Great deal buy now no payments till april and 20% off !!!!! We demoed this season and loved the cut . Takes a little gettin used to but once you get the hang of it you will be blowin by the walk behinds!!!!!

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

That's what I found, too. Being forced to keep constant pressure on the controls, so that any bumping moved your hand position, made it impossible for to feel comfortable mowing close to grave stones. Since you have no fixed part to hold on/reference, and your fingers/hands have to stabilize you "and" control speed, it's just too unfriendly for me. I brought my demo back the same afternoon.
    Pete

6. GrassCtr

GrassCtr LawnSite Member
    from south

Try a Hustler mower and all your problems will be gone!

7. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

That is what the center bar (between the two control levers) is for. You grab the lever itself with your thumb and place your fingers on the yellow stabiler bar, and just sqeeze enough pressure to make it go as fast or as slow (on either lever) as you want to control the speed and direction of the machine.
    Yes, they can fly and are great for saving trailer space and for getting in tight corners of your properties.
    Just have to remember, it probably took ALL of us a day or two to get used to using a w/b, a ZTM (Walker, Scag, etc.) so just give it a chance and get used to it. Wright makes a nice product that will increase production and is no harder to work on than most other machines utilizing similar concepts ... example - changing blades, adjusting deck height, etc.
    Sorry, but i still have issues with some of the hustler designs ... probably is a godd machine, but just not what is common in my area.

8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Don't get me started either:p I love my Hustler WB's, BUT, I had to do all the work to get them there. I've been so pissed off at them, that I almost sold my machines just out of spite. However, now there are the best, but I'd never recommend spending the time and money to get them there.
    Pete

9. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

Believe me...there is a reason that Wright is selling their units so cheap. They don't sell.....there are very few to none in my area. Great Dane owns the market as far as stand on units are concerned. Now that John Deere is behind them I feel that things will get even better!

Just had an opportunity to see the new 2003 riders from Great Dane. Awesome, heavy duty units at a very good price! $7399 for a 61" 25 HP rider

10. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Well, Great Dane sales were better around here till ...
    1) Local LCO's realized Wright does make a very nice product line.
    2) Dane was really only copying an already patented concept from Wright.
    3) Support and parts on Dane is NOT the same as on Scag ... why?
    Because Scag never made them ... they subbed the work out to a third party that has now been sold to John Deere (another manufacturer who's products live on the laurels of being solid and reliable).
    Dane sales in general have diminished in this area since their debut, not many of the Scag dealers still carry them on the floor. About half of the other LCO's I see have at LEAST ... 1 Wright mower, if not a complete set.

Oh, and why are they discounting them ... a great incentive to move their product year round ... they only offer the 20% during the fall-winter months, they do still offer discounts other times of the year, but not as much. Why only sell a product 6-8 months when you can sell them all year long ... personally, I think it is a great marketing plan, not as a way to try and move dead stock.
    They are selling their 61" Stander w/ 25 HP Kawi for $5963.
    I would definately go ahead and buy another Wright Stander for over $1400 in savings over a Great Dane, especially seeing as it is twice the machine ... it is a NO BRAINER !!!