Wright Standers: Do they mulch very well?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowingman, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I am considering the purchase of a 42" Wright Stander. I am concerned about their ability to do a good job of mulching. It appears that the Wright mulching kit is nothing more than a plate that fits over the discharge opening. It seems to me like this would leave a trail of mulched clippings along the discharge side of each pass.
    Anyone mulching with the Standers? If so, how does the finished cut look?:confused:

2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowingman,

We use gator hi-lifts, and believe me, our 2 48's shred and throw grass very far and evenly. If you're doing large accounts, w/ average top growth, you should be able to get thru w/ one pass. If you have very dense tall wet turf, a second pass after the clippings have some drying time in a 90 degree pattern to initial cutting will disperse clippings fine. We primarily do high end residentials and lovethe look ofthe standers cut. Just make sure your blades are well sharpened.

Bob

3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't have a Wright Stander but my friend does. He say's it's the best mulching mower he's ever owned. We're in Fl and both do mostly Floratam yards. He does a few Bahia lawns and say's that it even mulches heavy Bahia well too.

4. I don't have a Stander or mulch ... but, if I did ...

Just kidding. I have Standers and you're right, the "mulching kit" is just a plate, lol. My other mower (a floating deck 32" Toro WB) is a dedicated mulcher and it leaves a big-time line, so there is NO comparison because that thing SUX! So I can't say how well Standers mulch next to other brands. Anyway, it took me a while to get my Standers set up as good mulchers. Even then, some conditions are better than others. I can't speak for anyone else, but the lighter the cut, and the thicker and higher the grass is after the cut, the better my machines mulch. I only run gators, but change from singles to doubles as conditions warrant.

For mulching, your choice of a 42" Stander is a wise one, since it has the fastest blade speed of the 5 sizes. My guess is that it would be the best mulcher, as the 61" would have quite a bit more load under the deck. Obviously, as a mulcher, you're going to want as much horsepower as you can afford. ESPECIALLY if you want to run double gators. No mower will mulch well if it can't keep its blade speed high. If you don't have the extra Hp, then you might to just as well or better to run single gators.

5. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I use my 48" Stander as a discharge & that mulches clippings just fine. Not sure what putting a plate on it would do to the quality. Since not using any plate gives a great quality of cut, I probably won't ever try that.

6. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Dear Mowingman,

My 52" Stander does great mulching- I use gators as well. I'd also recommend that you go to the nearest welding/fabrication shop and get them to put a piece of expanded metal over the exit shute in stead of paying W.S. price for the plate.

IMHO however it's all in the gator blades that determine the best finished cut.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The reason I was wondering about mulching with the plate, is that I have a new property with LONG, narrow grassy islands. On one side is a street, and on the other side is a parking lot. If I side discharge anything, I will be blowing clippings onto pavement and that will require more time for blowing off the street and parking lot. I figured by mulching, I can minimize the amout of clippings I have to blow off. Thanks to everyone for the response to my question. I am going to try to get a demo unit as soon as there is some grass to mow.:D

8. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowingman,

I use a plastic board that my tie down straps came on. it's the best cheapest mulching kit you can buy.:p I have used it on leaves, grass, peanuts. It wilol do fine & it comes with free tiedowns.:D You can buy it @ target for about $20.00