1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wright standers in the wet

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jsaunders, May 25, 2004.

1. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

How do the decks handle wet grass? Clumping alot or good? Whats the best blades for the wet? Thanks Joel
  2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Why are you cutting in the rain in the 1st place. I only cut in the rain if I started a lawn and it begins to rain. I have very little clumping if the grass isn't to tall. Say 4 to 5 inches down to 3". More and you will have clumping. I run gators on mine all the time or a now a double blade set up. Med on bottom gator on top. Until my the other 9 gator blades i order show up. Then gator on gator.
  3. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Well I guess it could be asked, how does ANY mower cut in the rain. With single blades, not very well. But with double blades, a whole lot better.

When I have to cut in the rain, I always try to discharge out on the grass I've already mowed. It is counter productive to blow the grass into the unmowed turf... if you do you will surely have clumping.
  4. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Double blades, and discharge to to cut side, sometimes you will need to double cut, it's a ***** but you gotta do whatcha gotta do.
  5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I demoed an 18 / 48" Stander last Thurs. It had just finished raining when we got to the account..Yard is mainly tall fescue, was around 4.5" tall, and I cut at a pretty good clip, and had no problems with clumping or slippage.It was set up with factory single blades, and cut nicer than the WB's we use on that yard. I liked it so much, I am buying one this week
  6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Oh, they will clump plenty in the rain! I love the mower, but am not overly impressed with the deck. Most mowers will clump if they run long enough in the wet. Tried a new Toro Turboforce in some wet conditions, and it performed better then any other mower I have previously used.

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Well put another mark down on the scoreboard for Wright.
  8. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

i have to say my best wet cutting machine is our toro ztr man does that thing rock. i have seen man standers cutting in wet conditions and they seem to cut just like a w/b. definetly get the biggeest motor possible b/c that is my buddies only gripe about his standers.