Wright Standers on rough/terrain?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by carcrz, Jul 11, 2008.

1. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

How do Wright Standers do on rough terrain? How does your body feel after mowing 10 acres straight & standing the whole time? I'm going to demo a ZK if any of the dealers around here ever get one.

2. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

We have 3 of them and I feel that is one of the draw backs to the short wheel base. The new ZK however has a 69" wheel-base which is shorter than a ZTR but longer than the normal Stander by Wright. I demo'd one over in Independence but was unable to leave with the mower, darn-it!

3. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

Did you demo it on a lawn, or just in the parking lot. Why couldn't you leave with it?

4. carcrz

There's a lot of places doing that now. They don't want part timers borrowing machines from everywhere for a day & then never needing to purchase one. I know the Hustler & Wright dealers on my side of town do it.

5. carcrz

Robert - who had the ZK? Nobody on my side of town has one yet. I had to explain what it even was, then they knew exactly what I was talking about, but had no idea when they'd have one.

6. robertsturf

Odell on 23rd had one, but the Wright district salesman was the one that was taking it around. BTW I'm not part-time this is my only job!!! Going on 5 years now.

7. carcrz

Sorry. I wasn't insinuating you were part time, I was just talking about how easy it would be for a part-timer to just "demo" a new mower every week for their one mowing day.

8. robertsturf

Good point!! Before I buy a ZK I will demo it throughly though. I'm not 100% sold on the RH deck but I do like the 7" of deck depth and the power available. They had to manufacture a special muffler to pass OSHA safety standards on exhaust. I wonder if they will have vibration problems on the exhaust like some of the larger motors on the Hustler Super Z's?

9. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

If a company wants to sell a mower, it would behoove them to have a demo machine. My local dealer offered to contact the Distributors rep, and have him bring a machine to my jobsite for a demo. That's fine if I want to spend a couple of hours, chatting and testing the mower. I would like to try it on a couple of different types of properties at my regular pace. If I HAVE to have a machine today...I'll buy it and take my chances. I have a JD657 stander ( WE DON'T LIKE IT) I bought something else that I don't like ($8,000 worth)

We took a mower in for a repair. The dealer ask me If I would try out the new Great Dane (original surfer (1997)). My crew leader said that he didn't want to use the damn thing, that he'd just use a walkbeind mower. After the first day, he said that he tried it on some flat lawns lawns and that it wasn't too bad. But he wanted his old mower back. On the 3rd day, at tyhe end of the day,when they came in, I told him that his regular mower was repaired and I was going to return the surfer and pick up his mower. He said that he didn't want the old one back. So I bought an Original Surfer. The next month...the second surfer.

It takes a while to get use to something different. Dealers should give the mowers a chance to sell themselves. Car dealers use to advertise a "weekend testdrive". After you drive the new car, get use to seeing it in your driveway...its hard to part with it. Of course, I'm guessing that they're are so many mooches and freeloaders that the plan didn't work so well.

I don't NEED a new mower right now, but I would like to try a ZK for a day or two (Hilly job on Tuesday, large flat property on Wednesday (I'd like to stay on schedule) If I tried it and thought that it was faster, and more productive...I would buy it today. Until I test drive one, I'll think that I'm wasting time with my old mowers. But I also don't want to waste the time of the distibutors rep, and 1/2 a day setting it up, and doing it...Unless I HAVE to have a new mower.

10. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave LawnSite Member

I have a 52 Stander and I feel the ride is rough compared to a ZTR on uneven/rough ground. The benefits of the Stander far outweigh this however.