Wright Standers - Opinions please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowinginva, Sep 19, 2008.

1. mowinginva

mowinginva LawnSite Senior Member

What are the pros and cons of Wright standers? Quality of cut? Durability? How do they manage on hills? Your opinions please, thanks.

2. Gran Sport

Gran Sport LawnSite Member

They are IMO the most versatile machine in the industry. The quality of cut is great as long as you keep the deck clean. They take hills better than any other mower out there. Getting over curbs is a breeze. They are fast and comfortable to ride. You don't get grass in your face all day like on a ztr. You can fit more of them in or on your trailer. Extremely easy to service. Not as heavy, so rutting on wet lawns is greatly reduced. But if you do get stuck, turn off the blades, step off the back, and let the machine walk out of the mud.

By the way, I am unbiased. I have both ztr's and Standers.

If you are in the market, try the new Stander ZK. They are as fast or faster then most ztr's out there (cutting speed 14mph!)

Also, I have bad knees, and prefer to ride the Stander over the Z. They don't pound your body like some might think.

3. Gran Sport

Oh yeah, one more thing. No cons! Only pros!

4. Southside Lawn Services

Southside Lawn Services LawnSite Member

Funny thing. I spent today looking/riding the Exmark Lazer Z HP 56" $7650.00 the Hustler SD 36" $5,000.00 and the Wright Stander 36" $6,000.

I will be picking up my Stander 36" next Wednesday. For the 30 minutes I tooled around on each mower the Wright by far was more comfortable. I'm 6'2" 250LBS.

Thou the exmark was nice, and a great price. It's just not what I was looking for.

5. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

From what I have researched they tend to scalp more than most mowers. That is stand on units in general not just Wright. But everything Gran Sport said seems to be true.

Dave...

6. Gran Sport

Actually, I think they scalp less. The distance between the front casters and rear wheels is less on a Stander then on a Z.

7. Gran Sport

Another really cool thing about the Stander. The other day I cut the sidewall of one of my front tires. My dealer was'nt going to be able to have a new in for me till the next day. So what I did was take 2 spacers from the top of the fork and put them on the bottom. This took up the difference in ride height from one side to the other. I was able to cut the rest of the day on a flat, and kept the same cut quality.

8. coolluv

coolluv LawnSite Gold Member
    from Atlanta

Pretty smart. Who are you Mcgiver.:laugh:

Dave...

9. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

6 grand for a 36? Seems a little high to me. Check out the Wright website, they have a seasonal buying program where its cheaper to buy in the fall and winter. You can save a ton doing that.

10. Houstonguy

Houstonguy LawnSite Member

here near houston, tx my dealer had them for 4800 about 4 months ago. that does seem steep.