Wright Standers taking over market share

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toroguy, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

In my area, and neighboring areas, about a third of companies are using Standers! I watched a child operate one a week ago, and a girl in her late teens operate one today.

I believe this is the standard for future mower configurations.

Any one else notice this trend?
  2. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

thats what i ride on all day. only thing that needs improving is reverse(more power). once thats done see ya later riders.
    thats my 10 cents.
  3. corban

corban LawnSite Member
    from K.C. Mo

Yeah, that's what is going on in my area too. I don't remember the last time I saw a crew drive by without one.
  4. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

It seems like in are area mostly buntons and standers is what i see on other trailers. I dont see many riders where i live (Johnson County). it seems that they are mostly 21s, wbs and standers. One time on a trailer i saw 4 standers. I think theyt were 36, 48, 52,61 but what i dont understand why would you want to have a 48 and a 52 they are to close in size for me.
    Just my thoughts
  5. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

There is only one stander, a Great Dane, in my small area. Mostly Bobcat ZTR and walk-behinds followed by Exmark. JD
  6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

A lot of crews here have the Wright stander machines. I can not see them being used anywhere that there are not better machines to do the job with. I have demoed one and it was a nice, wellbuilt machine, but where will it give you an advantage? A conventional ZTR is easier on the body (sitting), will go into all the same places(with same deck size), and will get you under trees and shrubs where the stander can not mow. For smaller yards, a Walker is much more manueverable, just as fast as a Wright(with speedup kit), and you can change deck heights in seconds on a Walker. The stander did not do hillsides any better than my ride-on mowers. In fact, it was worse, as you have a higher center of gravity when you are standing on the thing. I would really like to see some comments from owners of these standers that clearly show what type of mowing job they are the best machine for. What am I missing here?:)
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There is nary a Stander in sight around here and the factory is right up the road. It's all Exmark, Gravely and DC.
  8. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

The standers are not intended to replace ZTRs, rather they are in direct competition with hydro WBs with velkies. The beauty of the Wright Stander is in its size and durability. The machine is incredibly short, giving it a distinct manuverability edge over WBs with velkies. The other advantage the Standers have is in their construction. They are seriously overbuilt.

If you compare a hydro WB with similar power and a velkie, you would spend $4500-5000. For only $500-1000 more, or $100-200/year (5yr life expectancy), or $.125-.25/hr, you can have a stander which is less fatiguing and overall more productive.

It is not fair to yourself to compair a stander to any rider. THEY ARE NOT COMPETING AGAINST THEM. ZTRs are always going to be arround, but the stander is in serious contention to wipe out the WB.

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Jason, you got it. Everytime the topic of standers comes up they immediately get compared to riders. Although some comparisons can be made, the better comparison is a wb with sulky as you said.

MUCH shorter and more compact then a wb w/sulky. This is a plus on small lawns as well as small trailers.
  10. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I am demoing one tomorrow. I am attracted to it because of the light weight, ability to quickly get off machine and assist if stuck, compact design, and price. I wish it had a floating deck like the sentar but I am willing to deal.