Wright Standers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Davo, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Davo

Davo LawnSite Member

I picked up a 52" stander today to demo for a couple of days. Used it for a couple of hours today, plan on using it pretty heavy for the next two days. I'm particularly interested in feedback on how these machines do on hills/inclines, jumping curbs, and maintenance. The thing really seems to eat up lawns, but not sure on how rugged it is. Any info would be appreciated.

Davo.

2. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I looked at one last Friday and was impressed. I only rode it around a parking lot, but I liked the ride. It was a 52" with a 25hp Kawasaki. Please give us some more feedback after you use it tomorrow.

3. Timbo

Timbo LawnSite Member

In my opinion, I absolutely love the Wright standers. As far as hills go, you can really change the center of gravity on the mowers by moving positions or leaning certain ways. This is much harder to do on the sit down mowers. Maintenance is really not that bad. The biggest problem that I have found is that if you go with a deck larger than 52", it scalps a lot. Steep hills are kind of nerve racking at first, but with practice you get more comfortable. Be careful on the zero turns because they will tear up the lawn. I use one now that has the original engine and it has over 3,000 hrs on it. No lie. Shows what proper maintenance can do for equipment. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

4. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Luv my Stander

5. lawn and stump

lawn and stump LawnSite Member

I have 2 - 61'' 25 hp Sentars that I love. They have great power
    for leaf mulching. As with any mower go with the next size up in engine if you plan on leaf mulching.

6. Davo

Davo LawnSite Member

Update:
    I demoed the 52" today, and was extremely impressed with the performance. Cut my mowing time by two hours. Striped nice. However, i think I will move up to the 23hp kaw (this unit has the 17hp kaw). Didn't take it on any hills, that will be tomorrow, but I am confident it will do fine. Alot of heat from the hydro pumps on the legs, and no grease fittings on spindles are the only drawbacks I can find so far.
    Any feedback +/- would be greatly appreciated. Seems like it will do anything a rider would do and get into smaller spots. Must be more drawbacks. Let me know.

7. greensideup

greensideup LawnSite Member

Is anyone running a 36" stander? I am considering replacing my walk behinds with 36" standers. My concern is the lack of a floating deck, and how easy it is to adjust cutting height. Anyone have any feedback?

8. Ferdelance

Ferdelance LawnSite Member

I've had a Stander for 2 years and have no trouble changing the deck height. Luv my stander

9. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Davo,
    There are zurk fittings on my spindles! they under the cast iron pulley. As for slopes and hills....(I may get bashed for this) I feel I can get a 42" stander in places no walk behind can go and as for hill-sides I have had mine at 45 degrees. The only concern I have on slopes is oil pickup!

10. Davo

Davo LawnSite Member

Tbarchaser,
    Thanks for the input! I'm sure getting the stander on hills like that will take some practice. As far as the grease fittings, the newer models have gone to sealed bearings, something I have not been a fan of, but the dealer says surprisingly he has not seen too many problems with them. Only time will tell on that one. He is a respectable dealer, and I have delt with him for over 10 years so I usually go with what he says. Bottom line, I'm stoked over this machine, but will wait on deciding on the purchase. Thanks for the info.