Wright velke 32 or stander 32?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yard sloth, Apr 18, 2005.

1. yard sloth

yard sloth LawnSite Member

I'm interested in the two Wright 32" mowers. mainly because they are dual hydro and there's a good dealer nearby.

Does anybody have the 32" Velke mower and like it? what are the pros and cons? I've read quite a bit about the stander but haven't heard too much about the velke mower.

thanks for any advice!
  2. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a 36" Velke and a 48" Stander. Both are very good machines. The Velke is almost overpowered if there is such a thing. Both have the same controls. The Stander takes up less space on the trailer. On a slope you may feel more control with that narrow width with a Velke.
    Hard to compare..really...2 different mowers completely.
    Good Luck.
  3. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I researched the 32" stander and There is one guy on this site that actually has one and really likes it a lot. I have talked to a lot of guys on this site that demoed them and none liked them. Also wright has terrible service in Texas, so I ruled out them out, but mostly because what other people had to say.

I am getting the gravely 34" ztr, I have researched it and a lot of people on have said nothing but good things about it. It just cant handle slopes.

One other thing, that velke 32" is what almost 4k? I wouldnt spend that kind of money on a 32" mower when I cant get a lesco belt 32" for 1800.just my 2 cents
  4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I have demoed the 32" velke and the 32" stander. I like the stander better. (I got 3 52" models) The stander has a lower center of gravity. Also why walk when you can ride. I plan to get one when my 32" exmark dies. (which seems like its never going to happen)
  5. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Itsgottobe. Why walk when you can ride. I almost didn't get my stander because I figured whats the difference between it and a walk behind with a sulky. Big difference. I'm not sure what the difference on price, but if its not an issue go with the stander.
  6. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Too Much Rutting w/Narrow Tires on 32" Stander...Same Tires they Used to Use on the 36" I Believe...Bad Ruts in Soft Turf....I would Take the 32" Velke Mower....Will be Buying a 36" Stander w/the Fatter Tires Soon.
  7. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

unless you weight 130 lbs the wright stander will rut the hell out of the lawn it weighs 600 lbs plus pounds ,tires are only 6.5 inches wide , i too added wider tires 7.5 inch's thats the biggest you can add with out bigger rims ,and at that point you are going beyond 36 inch deck ,IT WILL NOT HELP come rainy season you will sink trust me ,unless you are small ,it took me over a year to sell my mower ,thats how much everybody hates the small 36 unit the 48 inch is fine a lot bigger tires ,but the 36 inch walk away ,thats y i got a basic 36 walk behind haven had a problem sense ,plus because of the fixed deck you are very limited to the cut hight ,only can adjust with front Castor's an inch an a half ,so if you are cutting weeds on one lawn say 2inches and have st Augustin on another 4.5 inches forget it, one you wont cut the other its too short come summer growth .
  8. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

What happened to your 21" fleet? LOL
  9. yard sloth

yard sloth LawnSite Member

on the velke 32 mower would the kawasaki twin 15hp be a better choice than the Kohler command pro single 15hp? my dealer has the one with the Kohler. Is there a big differnce in the noise or power levels between these two engines? or dependability?
  10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Have both. Kawi is the only way to go on vertical shaft engines. dependability is the key to them.