1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wright Velke Models?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by howardsells2000, Nov 15, 2006.

1. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone use these. I was convinced I was going to buy a 32 Wright Stander as my next mower but it seemed as if the ground has been soft since late September. I had to do my best not to leave ruts in the yards I cut. Because of that I started to worry that the weight of the Stander with my weight on top of it, will cause rutting. I read on this site that people who have them do have issues with rutting. I started thinking maybe I should go with the velke model. I want to add a 32" mower to my collection. I want it to be dual hydro. I currently have a 36" belt drive but there is to many gates that I still can't get in. What are your thoughts.

2. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Ferris makes a 32 inch hydro 13 H.P. Kaw. We will be checking this unit out. Were also thinking of the wright 32 stander ,but ive heard as well it ruts bad,great mower thou. Havent tried the velke mower. Its not cheap $$ .We also have lots of clients with those small gates.
  3. howardsells2000

Doesn't anyone out there have an opinion on the Wright Velke Mower? I'm also thinking about the Ferris 32" Hydro. I know it's only a single Hydro, I really want dual Hydro.
  4. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you thaught of demoing one. Theres a dealer on providence road.
  5. howardsells2000

I have looked at the Ferris and Wright but haven't demoed one yet. Pioneer Outdoor Equipment in Aberdeen is where I have been doing my business. I will probably demo one soon. I'm still courious about anyone elses experience with either mower.
  6. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Hustler Trim Star 36 and haven't found a gate in my area that I can't get through. I have seen a couple Toro 32's and even the exmark 26 push. Good luck!
  7. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 36 and a 48 velke mower. i am sold on these machines. they are built like tanks, easy to operate and maintain and have a beautiful cut also. i am going to purchase another 48 in the spring.
  8. A.D Services

A.D Services LawnSite Member

those exmark 26" metros look pretty neat and efficient you might want to invest in one of those
  9. stephenslawncare

stephenslawncare LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I own the velke mower with the 32" deck. You will have rutting with both the stander and the velke mower in wet conditions. Keep in mind that the velke mower 32" weighs 545 lbs and rests on 4.8" drive tires. The 32" Stander weighs 605 lbs and sits on 6.5" drive tires (I believe the older ones were on 5 inch tires but I'm not sure) plus your weight. If you do get the Velke 32" just run the drive tires at a low psi to spread out the weight more. I run mine around 10 psi and dont have many probles in terms or rutting. Not to change the subject buy never buy a single wheel sulky because...
    A. Leaves a stupid looking stripe in your lines
    B. Harder to stand on than a two wheel model
    C. Wheel bearings wear out faster than a two wheeled model
    D. Leaves ruts worse than a two wheel model due to all of your weight being on a 3" hard wheel
    The only reason I own a single wheel sulky is because it can free with the mower. I bought the mower used so I wouldnt be able to tell you how much it would cost.