Wright Velke w/b--the "ROAR" is gone

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dfor, Jul 16, 2006.

1. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a new 52", 17 HP Kawasaki, Wright Velke w/b this spring. It had an awsome cut until the middle spindle died of a slow death. It used to have a great, low drone "roar" with the blades were engaged. Great lift, hardly any blowout and would really throw the clippings far.

Spindle was fixed and new belts on the machine, but that beautiful sound from the deck is gone, it's not throwing clippings as far and it's leaving some uncut stragglers.

I checked the rpm's, and they are at 3650. Even at 3800 for a quick pass or two, with no change. Changing the deck pitch at the front caster wheels doen't change anything. I can't figure it out. Anybody have any suggestions as to what else I should look at.

[​IMG]

2. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

You might have a bad clutch or it might need adjusted.

3. dfor

Thanks ThridDay. I bet that's it. I'll have to see if I can adjust it myself tomorrow. Come to think of it, the blades do continue to spin for a few seconds after I shut them down. I assume that is a sign of it needing adjustment too.

4. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like the blades arn't spinning as fast as before....what causes that I don't know.

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

did the pulley get changed as well? that is about the only thing that could change the speed if the power/rpms are correct.

6. dfor

No pulleys were changes. It does seem like the blade tip speed is greatly reduced. I've been searching the web and it looks like it has a Warner "maintenance-free" magnetic clutch. I assume that means that there are no adjustments to be made.?????? I'll have to check with my dealer tomorrow.

I will not be keeping this mower if this can't be resolved, thats for sure.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Did you check belt tension......Your unit looks awfully new to need clutch adjustment. And do all the spindles spin freely, maybe one has some drag in it?

8. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what I was thinking.

9. dfor

It has spring loaded tensioners, and the tension seems fine on both belts. And all the spindles spin freely. The picture was taken in March before the mower was even used.

10. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

maybe you are losing ur hearing????? just like cars even if you bring them to the best repairman in the world they will never be the same than from the way it was originally