Wright vs. Great Dane stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ooo, Feb 28, 2007.

1. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

Im looking into getting either of these two this year. Any of you who have used them, is the Wright worth the few thousand extra?

2. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

No. They have a great price on the surfer.

3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I have heard that the Wrights scalp. The Dane surfer II has a floating deck,so it won't scalp as much, and they are running some nice financing deals right now

4. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had several of both. I have had 2 older model 61" dane surfers 1 52" newer surfer & 2 52" wrights.

The danes are very good for the money. Mine just happened to not hold up very well to daily abuse. Exhaust header cracked to the point it was open header, muffler rotted off in a year, hydros made clicking noises. None the less they kept running even when looking poor. I would have to say at 500 hrs. they looked like something with 3K hours. But this could just be how WE in perticular abuse the equipment may be different for others.

The older great dane surfers were AWESOME! one of my favorite mowers to use and up until a month ago still had to older 61" models. They had over 2K hours on each. With normal maintenance these held up very good. If you can find a older unit I wouldnt hesitate to buy them.

Our Wright standers striped much better than our Danes and had a slightly better cut than our danes, turned and held hills better than our newer model danes(not older) fell apart just like any other mower

but all in all I would buy a wright stander if I had to do it again.

5. joe7588

joe7588 LawnSite Member

I just bought 4 new great dane surfers for 4k each. The standers are not worth 2k more in my mind.

6. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

i still have 7 of the old style danes that we are running. all work just fine and look good. they are great mowers. not any major problems at all. a couple of my first ones have to be getting around 2500 hrs and do burn alittle oil, but nothing major. might even throw a new engine on. i'm glad they came back with the solid deck. never like the super surfers.
    4k apiece is a great price.

7. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

been covered a bazillion times.

Latest thread was called "they look the same"

8. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

better yet buy a gravly stander same as new generation sufer a couple bones more and backed buy a company that is stable. dane has been sold so many times lessco was selling them now John deer bought them my dealer said he had trouble last summer getting parts?

9. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I've used both Great Dane and Wright's extensively and I prefer the Wright hands down. However, you will need to demo them both and see what fits your likes/dislikes.

The 61" Stander is the only one that has scalping problems by the way.

10. Daneman

Daneman LawnSite Member

Demo both the Dane and the Wright, then make the decision that is best for you.

Both are good machines, but I prefer the Danes