Wright Vs John Deere

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by dolphinlawns, Feb 27, 2014.

1. dolphinlawns

dolphinlawns LawnSite Member

Hey guys new to the site but not new to the industry I've been a scag guy for a long time lot of years. Got the chance to use a wright stander x for about 2 months and just fell in love with it and will never go to a sit down mower ever again. So needless to say am updating all my equipment to Standers so here's the question. Dealer is pushing the new John Deere 652R and yes I've heard about wright building john Deere standers but the dealer is telling me that there are some differences between the two as anybody demo one and what do you think? John Deere is cheeper than the stander x but I thing the dealer will make more on commish and is pushing the Deere. Thanks O ya the site is awesome

2. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

I like the Deere.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Looking forward to hearing the diffs.

Oh why oh why won't JD put a 7-Iron deck on a Stander?? Maybe the Worlds most perfect stand-on mower is a no-no...?

4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

The main difference and why I would not want a JD is the controls. Wright has their quad lever setup. Deere has their own. Honestly the quad lever is the only one I have ever felt comfortable on. Granted I dont spend as many hours on them as you guys. I just drive them when testing them if they are in the shop for repairs.

I would definitely try the deere before you buy it. If you like the Stander, you probably like the controls and there will be a difference there.

5. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

The deere deck is also slightly different, deere made the discharge opening a bit larger and modified the baffles very slightly I believe. Those differences are very minimal but they did it to help the decks perform better.

I have demoed the new standers from deere and love them. I'd be trading in my current quik trak to get a new one but I love the 7-iron decks and can't give that up yet.

6. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

They said they made something like 101 different changes. You may or may not notice lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

I own an X, i am going to demo the JD this year and see if theres much difference. just from looking at it i can't see any difference to the deck.

8. AdosJones

AdosJones LawnSite Member

They are really very similar.

The Deere is ANSI certified due to the discharge chute type. (some insurance providers want to know about that) The front caster wheel yolks on the 652R are strong cast iron, and the tire/wheels are semi-pnuematic runflats. The engine on the Deere has removable clean out panels on the engien shroud so you don't have to remove the shrouds to clean debris fro the cyclender fins.

Other then that the other differences are mostly visual.

They just relased a MOD version of the 652R; the Stander X doesn't have that.

They are both great machines. Between the two it would really come down to which control set up works better for you and the dealer support.

9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Now THAT is a positive step. Would love to hear some reviews on the MOD deck on a green Stander.

10. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Senior Member

Just went and checked that out. It is a stamped deck, with a electric MOD feature. That is a nice setup. Is this the same MOD as on the Z's?

What is pricing on this?