Wright ZK 61" 31HP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ridin' Around, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Ridin' Around

Ridin' Around LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone had the chance to run this ZK yet? I spent a few hours on one this week and I am curious to see what everyone else is thinking on these. I hope to here what several of you think and then I will post my comments on it. Thanks.:waving:
  2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

I drove one and liked it. I don't know about the $10,000 price tag, as you can get into a Bad Boy Lightning with the 31hp Kawasaki and the 60" deck for $8500 (well, a little more now that the price increase has set in). It's every bit as fast as the ZK. I like Wright's products though.
  3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

None of the local dealers have them yet. I can't wait to see them!
  4. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

I got to run one exactly like this when I visited the Wright factory last month. I tried it out in about 4 ft tall grass/weeds. Of all I cut, it took two passes over the same area to get it manicured, but the ZK has the power to make this happen. This is the type of stuff one probably would think about using a Bush Hog on instead of what is considered a finish mower...the 31 HP/61" ZK knocked that stuff down without grunting at all. And the 15 mph top speed is helpful when getting the mower from place to place, it will flat-out fly!
  5. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

I have been running a 61/31 for about 3 weeks and really like the performance. It mows just as well as my turf tigers. Hillside stability is almost as good as the tt. The best things are that is 2k less than the tt and takes up less room on the trailer. The mulch kit works great and my guys both prefer the stander to the suspension seat tigers.
  6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

How much was it?
  7. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

It was $9999 plus something like $169 for the mulch plate
  8. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I'd like to hear a comparison between a stander fixed deck, and a ZK stander.

Ridin'Around- how about some of those observations.
  9. KCfireman

KCfireman LawnSite Bronze Member

I brought one home and demoed it. It cuts very well even when your going 14 mph. I think this might be the mower that wright takes the competition away when it comes to stander. O wait....they already have.
  10. Ridin' Around

Ridin' Around LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I am a big fan of the "bouncy" platform, very happy with the speed And productivity. However, I did find that the deck left some "stringers" I think most fell in line between the right and center blade in the right front tire's track. At first we blamed it on the turf, went to 4 differenty yards, all different grasses, no change. Speed did not seem to fix fast or slow. Sharpened blades for ourselves, still no change. I'm not sure if the increase in productivity will be enough to offset the double cutting we had to do. I do double cut a few residential yards for the cross pattern striping. But not all yards get that treatment. Several of us noticed exhaust fumes throughout the day as well. An earlier prototype machine we were on had a different muffler with a longer redirected exhaust pipe. I would like that back as well. The fuel tanks had evolved from the earlier machine too, Kudos for that, they filled in a big gap near the leg pad that we found annoying on the early unit. I am also concerned about the 31 drinking fuel. I would love to see a DFI slapped on for effeciency reasons. The rep mentioned European sales for Wright and that they are getting lots of pressure to make a diesel available to that market. I would entertain that idea as well.

As far as a fixed deck V. ZK the deck is fully floating on chains, no good way to compare. I will take the floating adjustable deck any day.

I would like to know how many of you are running fixed deck heights, and just telling your customers that they are getting 4.5" in the spring and 3.75" in August? I know it happens!

1 more thing on all of the New Kawasaki KAI motors I have run recently, it seems like they want a choke every time they start, hot or cold, Any one noticing this? Is it just that they are set so lean to meet EPA or CARB regulations?