Wright!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fareway Lawncare, May 6, 2004.

1. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Finally got to demo the Famous Wright Stander...We Don't Have Any Local Dealers!

I was demoing for a Local Dealer Looking to Carry the Line...The rep. showed up w/ a Sentar, 52" Stander, 36" Stander & 32" Velke Mower...he claimed 1900 Blade Tip Speed, The Best Selling Commercial Mower in North America & Able to mow 45 Degree Slopes...I Don't Think So!

Regardless the Stander is one Sweet Machine. eXellent controls, Very Solid, Very Fast in Open Areas & Much Better than a Hydro Walk w/riding attach in tight areas.... COMPACT.

Seemed to give a Nice cut & FUN FUN FUN to RUN!

Please Wright Give us a Floating Deck!!

Anyone using the 36" or 42" on Small Properties? Rutting w/the eXtra weight on drive tires? In Soft Turf? Are you Zero Turning w/no Divots? Can you put it everywhere you put a Regular DD Hydro Walk..

2. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

A 36 will rut, I think due to all the weight being on some relatively narrow tires. There was a thread on this a while back where I guy tried some bigger tires. I think it is the hardest machine to turn on anything but perfect conditions, without tearing turf. The standers are hard on my back, but that could just be me in particular.

Very manuverable and fun to drive.

Jay

3. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I have a 42" and yes it will rut if your not carefull, same with diviots. I dont think it the machine that diviots its the agility of the machine and the operator pushing it to the limits.

Standers do have some bad points but the good points sure make up for them. I have 45 accounts that I would not even do if it was not for the stander. Its real nice to bang out 30+ postage stamp props before 3 pm.

4. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

The reason the Stander has a fixed deck is because it makes it light, compact, and a very solid feel. You would loose some agility by going to a floating deck. You would also have more maintenance.

Due to the short wheel base scalping is not an issue.

The only thing the stander needs is still more speed. 10MPH would be nice which could be trottled down by changing the setpins on the controls.

5. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Amen on the floating deck. I really want one, but that has always given me pause. My nightmare is I will have it set up to cut at 3.5-4.25" and then customers with Bermuda or weeds they want mowed really low will show up. I also figured out I would have trouble loading it up a ramp in some situations.

I bet it'd be possible to keep the dimensions similar with a floating deck, they're always improving mowers. Or even just one that has a better height adjust system.

6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Doesnt the Great Dane and John Deere stander(same machine) have floating decks?

7. Fareway Lawncare

from Canada

If they can put a Floater on the Sentar..& what a Sweet Floater it is...they can put 1 on the Stander w/out sacrificing Dimensions.

A couple Bad things? There is No Easy Way to check the hydraulic fluid level. The resevoir tank for the hydro fluid looks to be based on a Petrolium System even though the rep. says it's Synthetic Designed...It's Huge compared to the eXmarks....Sure you can use Synthetic but you have to Use Alot More.

The Caster arms & Framing is Very Beefy & Kevlar Belts...also has a Warner Clutch? Not Ogura...Bad Ogura...Bad. Looks like a Tank but I can see Lots of Duct tape on that Front Rest Foam.

Why is there Adjustable Gage Wheels Behind the Platform...to keep it from backflipping but Why Would You Adjust Them?

8. Fareway Lawncare

from Canada

& One More Thing...The Stander should have a switch that Disengages the Platform Safety so you can Walk Behind the Unit when Conditions Warrant. The Controls should be adjustable for comfortable Walking position as well as Standing.

9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Finally got to demo the Famous Wright Stander...We Don't Have Any Local Dealers!
    -Same problem here, i talked mine into selling them.

he claimed 1900 Blade Tip Speed, The Best Selling Commercial Mower in North America & Able to mow 45 Degree Slopes...
    -Yes they do, they are getting there, i have done it. I got couple of accounts because of this feature.

-See the sentar

Why is there Adjustable Gage Wheels Behind the Platform...to keep it from backflipping but Why Would You Adjust Them?
    -For when you have wheel pulling constest at the shop. I keep mine in the lowest hole, when we aren't doing this when its a slow day. Also when you adjust the rear wheel motor mounts to the rear postion, you need to do the same to the antiflip wheels so the tires do not rub on them.

The Stander should have a switch that Disengages the Platform Safety so you can Walk Behind the Unit when Conditions Warrant. The Controls should be adjustable for comfortable Walking position as well as Standing.
    -The orignal protype did this the whole handle bar assblemy folded back so you could walk behind it. But there was a patent infrigement. See Jim Velke about it, since he diesigned it. I don't know why you would want to walkbehind it in the 1st place. Just duck down behind the controls handles.

10. Fareway Lawncare

from Canada

To Keep the Weight of the Drive Wheels in Wet or Soft Turf Itsgottobegreen!