Wright's Wrong spindles......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Pawn, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Lawn Pawn

Lawn Pawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from zone 3

Please.... posted in mechanic forum...... did the search thing.... and still coming up with no answer!

At less than 400 Hrs. my 36 inch Wright Stander has a spindle squealing like a stuck pig. Replace with the same craptacular assembly or can I use a spindle from another mower? Hopefully a greaseable unit like Scag.

2. landmk

landmk LawnSite Member

My 36" blew a spindle at about 500hrs. thought that was odd at the time but I did not think too much about it, At the time I had a guy working for me that was rough on my machines needless to say he is somebody else's problem now so maybe there is a problem with the wright spindles on the 36" after all, Just for your 411 Oregon make a spindle that fits your stander and it's has the grease Zerk that you are looking for make sure you ask your dealer or parts supplier for that brand and you should have no more problems getting grease in the spindle. Just don't forget to grease every 40hrs. or so K.
  3. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

landmk, do those replacement oregon spindles use thru bolts like scag or the reg bolts like wright. I had 2 bolts on so tight, I had to bring it to a local shop and they had to use the 1400lb ft impact gun to get them loose. My 300lb cordless had no chance.
  4. Lawn Pawn

from zone 3

LANDMK..... Went to Oregon's website and cannot find info. on ordering... or much of anything on the spindles.

It shows they make them and have references about them but nothing can I find specific. Thanks for the lead.... I'm trying to scratch something up.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Mine went out at 600 hrs and was under warrnty so..my dealer took the inside covers off the bearings on the new spindles and put a grease zert on and an overflow hole. We will see how long they go we are now passing the 600 hrs on the new ones. Next up ....put Scag spindles in they do fit up just have to get a shorter bolt that goes thru the center.
  6. Lawn Pawn

from zone 3

After hours on the phone.... and emailing... I could not find any non OEM replacement spindles for MY Wright 36 stander! Oregon... J Thomas.... Ebay nothing!!

Lots of info about modifying Scags to work, but no plug and play!!! So it's $150 with shipping for another Wright piece of crap spindle.

Wright Mfg. why do you do this to us!!!! Your answer is..... well nobody greases them if we did build a decent one like Scag anyway. Well.. YOU ARE SADLY MISTAKEN..WAKE UP!!
  7. Lawn Pawn

from zone 3

Got off the phone after ordering my $150 spindle.

Brought the mail in.... new Russo catalog... dropped it on the table and it opened up to spindle assemblies!!!!!!!!!!!! Wright Standers 36/42inch.. $64.99

Life will go on.
  8. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

so call up and cancel the order. Easy call for me- buy 2 for the price of 1. Capitalism rules in the US, at least for a couple more years...

I'm buying a Sentar on Saturday and the only thing reallly giving me pause is the craptacular spindles as you call it.

WRIGHT'S THINKING - "Let's make an inferior product and penalize everyone rather than making a quaility product that requires some maintenance and only penalize the few who choose not to do that maintenance."
  9. Lawn Pawn

from zone 3

Really wanted to call and cancel...... but this dealer has really been good to me on the phone with all my questions etc. Did not buy the mower from him but from one of his customers.

The non OEMs are cheeper... and it is two for the price of one to be sure. I may order one for the other side and have one of each in? My other spindle does rumble a little now.
  10. Lawn Pawn

from zone 3

What the mechanic did tell me..... the guys that put LOTS of hours on their Wrights never put the OEM spindles back after they crap out!

They modify the Scag assemblies and are good to go for sometimes thousands of hours. Anybody from Wright getting this?