1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

written referels

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 22, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

when competeing for "better" clientelle, i use written referels, amoung other things, to give me the edge. does anyone think this is a good, or bad tactick
  2. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

I just read this a minute ago, it was a larger post, did you edit it?
    Whatever... I think it's a good idea, how do you ask the customers for it?
    Some of my customers put little notes, "love notes," I call them, in with their checks, those ones would almost definately write refferrals.
    I stick 'em on the fridge, like a kid with an A on his schoolwork.
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

crawdad , when they tell me how great i am, i say, "well, i'm glad you like the service. let me talk to you for a minute. would it be too much trouble to ask you for a reference? we are hiring new employees and growing our business. as you know this type of business is very competative, and having written referels from happy clients really gives us the edge." they always say yes and are more than happy to type one up. these are the clients that get actual fertilizer instead of cat litter.
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

What does the written referral actually prove?? That someone likes your work?? Well duh, I would hope you would be able to keep a few customers happy, otherwise you wouldn't be in business for very long would you? So you can whip out a couple coffee stained referrals? Big deal.
    Your restaurant thread last night was talking about UNSOLICITED compliments that people heard THRU THE GRAPEVINE about restaurants. Totally different than you throwing a compliment, make even a fake typed up one, in the face of a potential client.
    Unless the customer asks for some "proof" that you are capable of cutting some grass, I say there's no point in using referrals. I think they look very "high schoolish"..... It's like you are saying, "Hey, I'm Bobby from down the street, look at what Mrs. Smith said about me...................
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I receive compiments here and there on returned invoice receipts. Nothing ever too big, but something like "Great job" or "Keep up the good work". What do you think of the idea of sending out a form letter to selected clients to ask for a reference letter that you want to post on your website? In exchange for a free service...like fertilizer or (if its a small, front lawn) a free aeration for going through the troubles of writing something up? I would of course ask permission to use their name as well, at the end of the letter.
  6. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

Captain Obvious!
  7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Here is "Permission to Quote" form that may be useful from here.

"Permission to Quote:

I hereby give my consent for (company name) or its assignees to use my comments quoted above in any manner or form, or for any medium, without restriction or limit for the purposes of nationwide publicity, advertising or display. I understand that I will receive no payment or compensation for this permission.

(Signature line, printed name, date) "
  8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I am with Jodi on this. I use them occasionally (having gotten permission first) if it is impossible for me to meet with the person collecting the bids. If I can meet with the person collecting the bids then I think it is over kill.