written warranty on plant stock

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JML, Feb 5, 2001.

1. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

how long of a warranty do you give your customers that you do landscape design/install work for. do you give them something in writing or do you just tell them? thanks

joe

2. Andrew Hardscape

Andrew Hardscape LawnSite Member

We warranty our installed plant material for 12 months. We have detailed warranty sheets that states warranty, conditions, plants installed, etc. The customer must sign 1 copy of the warranty and return to us stating they agree and understand the conditions.

If anyone wants a copy of our warranty sheet please e-mail me and I'll zap it over to you.

3. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

If the property looks good to us, we usually bid on the cutting, fert. program, shrub trimming, mulching, etc. Its a good bargaining tool. We say that if they go with us for the whole thing then we upgrade the guarantee to 1.5 or 2 yrs. 1 is the ave.

4. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

We guarantee plants for 12 mos. I also have care instructions I give to the customer upon project completion. While I do expect them to follow the instructions, I'm not always that strict that they adhere to the rules, so if something dies that they may not have taken appropriate care of, I may replace it anyway.

I'd more often rather have a happy customer than be right.

5. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

We do the same as Stonehenge. Better to keep the customer feeling positive than to quibble over $8.00 We have a written warranty and care instructions.

6. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

a local competitor offers a 1 yr on his plantings only w/ maintenance agreement.
    I heard him explain his policy:
    "The homeowners (or their scrub lco) sometimes unknowingly kill stuff. I can't guarantee someone elses work."

7. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

we give 1 year on plantings. A nursery gives 3 to it's design/install customers. We don't do alot of install work right now, we're to bust with maintenance. Planning to add a install crew in next year or so, they would also take care of mulching. When I do that I will add a 5 year guarntee, provided we are on the property for regular maintenance services. I still have to work out all the details (minimum service amounts). But I belive it should work very well.

8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

in a written "agreement" we offer 3 months without our maintancence ...or 12 months if we maintain the over-all grounds ......

of coarse excluding acts - events such as acts of god, vandalism or improper operations of systems not under our maintenance (Irrigation) ;-)