Wrong # in phone book

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cajunboy, Dec 7, 2004.

1. cajunboy

cajunboy LawnSite Member

This is my first year in the business and placed ad in the yellow pages and when the books came out this fall. In one book my ad was listed twice in yellow pages one with the correct number and once with the wrong number. And then in the white pages a totally different number. 3 different numbers. In the other book it was correct in the yellow but still wrong in the white. They still want me to pay for the one book that has the yellow pages right. A new book doesn't come out until september so this will be my first full year in the business. I am not going to pay them a penny because I feel they have cost me alot of business. Do you think I have the right to some kind of compensation. I have never sued anyone and am not a sue type person but I have a family to feed (5 boys). Or should I just try again next year. Thanks for your comments

2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

They can have all those numbers call forwarded to the correct number

3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I can see where you would have a strong legal case. The question is, "How much did the ad cost you?" The reason I ask is it's the difference between small claims court where you can represent yourself, or finding a lawyer. Take into consideration that they have the money to drag it out in court as long as they want which will end up costing you a ton of money in lawyers fees. Even if you also try to include your lawyers fees in the law suit there's always a chance that you either won't win the case, or you win the case and won't be rewarded the reimbursement for the fees.

I would try to work out something with them where you pay 60% of the ad with the correct number.

4. cajunboy

cajunboy LawnSite Member

They tried and the numbers were taken already and they were not willing to give them up so the phone company said.

5. work_it

That's a good idea in concept. The problem lies where the number may belong to another individual or business who doesn't want to forfeit it.

6. work_it

LOL, you posted that a couple seconds before mine. Guess I could see that one comming.

7. cajunboy

cajunboy LawnSite Member

It wasn't alot of money for the ad but this being my first full year I am trying to establish some customers and it seems like it will take a little longer now. I still plan on doing door hangers but I am not paying for the ad.

8. work_it

The reason I suggested that you try to work out a reasonable compromise with them is because:
    1) they can destroy your credit
    2) if your area is like mine you can't hardly get invited to bid on a commercial property unless your business is listed in the yellow pages.
    3) if you turn into a total pain in their .....side (yea, that's it...side) they may refuse any future business with them.

Just remember, being a business owner means that you should also show a high level of diplomacy. That always works in your favor if you have to go to court.

9. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

you had sign to proof read the ad? was it correct if the proof? if not you shouldnt have to pay!

10. cajunboy

cajunboy LawnSite Member

Thanks for your advise Earth Management. I never really consider sueing them because of going to court and I would like to do business with them in the future but it just ticks me off. Hopefully I will get enough business next season that I wont have to use them at all. The part that sucks is that the phone book is only printed once a year and there is nothing they can do at this point to correct it. I wrote a letter to the company letting them know that I was upset and I did not feel that I should have to pay for it so I will see what happens.