1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

wrong place, but I trired

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cutnitclose, Apr 18, 2004.

1. I know this is the wrong forum, but maybe i will get an answer if not that's kool....... Are the rods differnt lengths in a 350 small block engine and a 400 small block engine..... We can not get the valves right and a buddy of mine came by and adjusted them, but he said the rods were to short, the guy at advanced said that there is a difference in length, the guy at autozone said there isn't.... The exhaust on one side id good and hot the other is cool, whixh tells me that something in the vavle train is amiss.. It is also blowing a lot of smoke.....
  2. Somebody help a feller out
  3. soilsample

soilsample LawnSite Member

4. Thanx soilsample
  5. looked but couldn't find any info
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Is it a roller? Is it hydraulic? Are you running a cam? There are different lengths for different applications, even within a 350. The standard length for a stock (hydraulic) pushrod is 7.8 inches (actually, 7.794), but there are some that are heavy-duty applications that are .100" longer. These are 5/16' dia.
    There are also the 7.800" length, and can run all the way up to 7.950 for a SB Chevy. However, to answer your question, Yes. They are the same.
    One option you could do, is get an adjustable one that is used for measuring. You probably have to go to a speed shop for that, though. As a matter of fact, I would certainly call a speed shop to verify the lengths, anyway. Get the block #'s, let them know what heads you are using, and what cam you are using, (lift, duration).
    One question that comes to mind,...- what would bring this question up? Are you building a new motor, and going to use the same rods? If so, that won't work. They will never seat onto the rockers, and cause pre-mature wear on the rockers, regardless if the rods are flat tipped, or have the wall swedged ends.
    Antway, I hope this helps, and good luck with your project!
  7. Stihl036pro

Stihl036pro LawnSite Member

Theres got to be a truck forum on the web somewhare, u-know just like lawnsite but they talk about trucks. Do a search on the web, I bet you would find what you are looking for. I deal with fords only.
  8. Runner, and Stihl I greatly apprieciate the info the info, I had one built, and it is crazy I think I'm going to put a cam lifters and push rods in... We can't get the valve to act right, First there was a ticking/knocking sound, then we tightened them up and it started smoking, I think I will replce all 3..... It is my work truck, and I've got to get it going, When I first got it back It didn't smoke at all, but there was a soung that went away when we tightened them down, and llike I said it started smoking...... I've got 2 mechinacs that are good friends of mine, "they don't know each other" 1 says it has the wrong rods, the other says it need a cam and lifter, so I think I will replace both.......
  9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Late model Hydraulic roller cam motors have shorter pushrods to accomodate taller factory roller lifters.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It sounds like you DEFinitely have your valves lashed to tight. If you had some noise coming out of it, it could have been a weak spring. Were the heads all re-done with the motor? Valves ground? new springs? What heads are they,... 1.94's? How old is the motor?