1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

WTB Walker upgrades/replacement parts

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by carcrz, Dec 31, 2006.

1. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I've got a 1997 Walker MTGHS. Serial No. 29517. 20 Hp model. I want to upgrade my blower to the newer style & I think my blade gears are out of wack because they started hitting eachother last time I used it. It broke the pins & spun the blade right off,leaving it on the ground behind me. It could have been really bad for everyone if it came out spinning.

Also, if anyone has an idea on price for the hi-lift setup & the bigger bushel box (if it will work w/ the hi-lift).

Shipping to 64012
  2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

there are actually several auctions for walker parts on ebay right now. some guy down in bradenton fl, must have taken one apart completely. there are decks, gear boxes, 9 bushel hoppers, just search ebay for walker mowers.

as for the high lift i think that is a factory only option and it's VERY expensive, you might email walker or call your dealer on that one. i am told the blower will retro fit older machines and that it's a beast when it comes to suction and collection.
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

If you could find an older All Seasons lift, one of the hydraulic powered units, you may be able to save a lot of $$$. New they ran about $3,000 and were a BIG job to install. My dealer told me that it took someone that had done a few before literally 8 hours to install one. Many Walker users around here had them. Some loved them, one guy I knew sold his off of his unit about 6 months after he bought it. The DO make the mower top heavy since the catcher is sitting another 3 to 4 inches higher. Plus you have the added weight that effects your traction.

The newer Walker version appears to sit lower, but I'm sure it weighs the same roughly. From the pics. Iv'e seen of it dumping it dosn't appear to lift as high. It's a great Idea, but if it will only lift high enough to dump into a stock truck bed that makes it pretty useless IMO.

How much slop do you have in your blades, I mean holding one tight, how much can you rotate the other back and forth? I thought mine was about shot too, I could move one several inches back and forth. I showed it to the dealer and he said that's totally normal. I also sheared my blade bolts this fall. Didn't hit anything either. I was engaging the blade (and not fast) and crash bang the blade just fell off. I was expecting the worst, but I ran and got new bolts and there was nothing else wrong... Guess they had just had enough, lol.
  4. carcrz

Mike - I've been searching ebay almost daily for parts, but all I have come up w/ is pick-up only & they are all on the coasts which is way too far for me to drive. Anyone going to Florida anytime soon?;)

That deck & box seems like a good price, just wish he was closer.

The only gears I have come across say "SUPERIOR GEARBOX FOR 1995 SUPERIOR GEAR BOX w/ 812 hours". I'm afraid that they will be going out shortly after installation.
  5. carcrz

Jason - I'm not too concerned w/ the height or weight mainly because the traction on these things is already awful. Also, I'll be dumping it into the back of my '05 Ram 2500 - stock height. I pretty much try to stay on the flats & blow the leaves from the hills onto them first. As for the installation time, it's winter & I'm bored.

"How much slop do you have in your blades" - I can move it probably 3" or so in either direction. I tinkered w/ the blades today & mowed an acre w/ it. I don't know what's wrong for sure now. I mowed all of the grass & just when I almost done, I managed to find a 3/4" branch in the grass & the blades managed to make contact again. This was the only time they touched. I stopped & adjusted them back to + & all was well.
  6. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

The New Walker High Dump system can be bought alone and fitted by the dealer.

They are not cheap though. If you want the bigger blower, bigger box, new gears, and the high dump, I would say it is time for a new machine.
  7. carcrz

I'd settle for the blower & figure out why the blade timing might be off. The others are "priveledges"
  8. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

You might check you spindles they should look like D and make sure you are using the blade cups. The blade cups should fit over the D in one side only and in one position. The blades should not hit for any reason. Also make sure the cups are fitted in the right way 1 blade should be straight up and down and the other horizontal
  9. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Wait i for got something. You to have sheer pins to hold the blade to the cup. if you dont use the pins they can slip
  10. carcrz

The spindles look okay & I am using the cups, just as I have been since I bought it 3 years ago. One thing I noticed when changing the blades this last time is that when the one blade came off (the 1st time) it must have chipped a corner off of the spindle that holds it in a true 90* to the other blade. I don't think it is enough to effect anything, but there is some metal missing.
    When I take the blades off, I always put them back in the + position - i.e. always perpendicular to each other.