WTF? And you call yourself a contractor?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Jul 20, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Pic #1: Ball valve was to be installed to isolate ALL four automatic valves.

Pic #2: Sure... put a long handled brass ball valve in a 10" round box. I had to bend the handle to turn the valve off.

Ivanhoe Isolation Ball Valve 7-20-07 IV-01.jpg

Ivanhoe Isolation Ball Valve 7-20-07 IV-02.jpg
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

This is why I like Ford valves. No handle.
  3. Hayes,
    I know your putting in your papers, but for the life of me, why in the heck don't the school district have somebody like yourself do a walk through to check for stuff like this before making the final payment?
  4. PurpHaze

Because if they had me inspect irrigation projects then they'd have to reclassify me and pay me more money? :)

My boss had already "inspected" the project and made a note of some things needing taken care of but he missed the fact that the ball valve was AFTER the tee. He concentrated on the valve itself.
  5. PurpHaze

Here's another SNAFU. Our specifications call for either the Hunter ACC or Irritrol MC-Plus-B controller to be installed and that we'd specify which one depending on variables. The contractor never asked (and/or the boss never made it clear) so he installed the new Irritrol MC-E controller.

I went through the controller and it has some very nice new features over the MC-Plus model including monthly percentage. However, no month can be at 0% (minimum is 10%) and there are usually four months that we have all our controllers completely off. It's also not a modular affair and a new board would have to be installed to increase the number of zones.

Then the BIG problem... the new MC-E controllers are not compatible with our Eicon remote system. They require the Toro "Sentinel" system. In addition, not only do you need to hook the receiver up to the pins on the board (same pins as the Eicon) or install the pigtail adapter between the pins and the exterior of the box you still have to open the controller box and turn the dial to the Remote Control position for the remote to work. :dizzy:

Ivanhoe New Irritrol MC-E Controller IV-01.jpg
  6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

The pic of the MC sends shivers down my of the wierdest clocks
    ever made.:cry:
  7. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Why cant you just turn the clock to "Rain Off" for those four months? Not that a percentage for that month wouldnt be easier. Or is that just for rain delay?

No "off" selection
  8. PurpHaze

That's what we currently do. Would be nice to be able to zero out particular months so the clock didn't need to be shut down and then just started up the system in the spring again.