1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

WTF Dealer dropped exmark!!! so hustler or toro?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigjeeping, Mar 13, 2007.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Pretty pissed.. Just found out that local dealer dropped Exmark because they weren't selling enough. I bought two exmark Z's from them last year and now the nearest service place is like 45mins away. Thankfully I sold one of the Z's already and now I am thinking about selling the other one so that I can get local service.

They said they weren't even sure if they could get the Triton update kit for me, but they're going to make some calls and see.

Anyway... they carry Toro and Hustler, both of which I know NOTHING about.
    If you guys could enlighten me on which one you think is better over the two, and what their major strong/weak points are I will be thankful, since it looks like I'll be buying one or 2 of these brand mowers within the next month.

2. Billy Joe Mcguffee

Billy Joe Mcguffee LawnSite Member

I'd go with the Huslter. Good reputation and very few problems, recalls and updates.
  3. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

dealership loosing or dropping lines left and right. This is the 3rd post this week.

That's why it's important to support the dealers. Mowpart.com isn't helping your dealer make money to keep equipment lines when things get tough.
  4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I would say if you really like Exmark, Toro is it's closest cousin and you would probably be well satisfied with them. I can't recall hearing a negative thing about the cut quality of them.
  5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

It's a small world. get used to shipping and back up equipment. Stores are getting bigger so they are farther apart.
  6. mcduff48

mcduff48 LawnSite Member

If you like your lazer you will be satisfied with a toro z master
    toro owns exmark and the machines are almost alike
    the have very few differences and have a lot of the same features
  7. Billy Joe Mcguffee

Billy Joe Mcguffee LawnSite Member

I'm not sure but I think the toro deck is completely different and at one time they had a much slower blade tip speed. I also saw something with some adjustable baffles on a toro deck. I'm nto sure that make sense in wet grass, fertilizer etc. I'd thing all that stuff would have the paint beat of fit and be rusted up like the bottom of any other deck in about 90 days. Looks like more stuff to mess with and have problems with. Besides that I think my old exmark stuff was better than the newer stuff. It's been a while since I looked into the toro. Just never cared for their stuff much or the serivice in my area.
  8. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Best thing to do is try out both machines and see which one you like better
  9. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

Hey man Hustlers got a promo going big rebates and discounts. Got to the Hustler forum on this site and it lists all the Discounts!!
  10. amar

amar LawnSite Member

Don't waist you time driving out to Weingartz
    Larrys can service any brand mower and they can still get Exmark parts.

Exmark screwed them. They gave them old models. You where one of a hand full mowers they sold.