WTF just happened (W/B oil change) help asap!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Lynden-Jeff, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,

So I just did my first oil change and I dunno wtf happened. Ill put down here exactly what I did.

- Ran the engine 3-5 minutes to warm oil up.
    - Let engine sit for 2 minutes to let it cool to "warm"
    - undid the plug, oil drained and got a little on the machine deck around the engine(its a bobcat so the plug just ends about an inch from a hole for the oil to drain down under the machine)
    - After oil drained a undid the filter put a coat of oil on the new seal and re tightened
    - Redid the drain plug
    - filled with approx 1.7 liters valvoline 10-w30

OK so i'm already to let it run for a minute and check the filter and oil level. I give the cord a yank with throttle on low and there is a loud like snap out of the muffle. Kind of like a back fire. WTF happened? I am now worried to start it until I find out what happened and if its safe to start it again/let it run. PLEASE any suggestions!

Thanks
    Jeff

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Check the oil level and start it.

3. Lynden-Jeff

Started ran it for 2 minutes, how long should I wait before I check the oil? When I checked it before hand it was at the "full" mark I think.

Cheers
    Jeff

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Make it a habit to check the oil and hydro every morning when your cutting and the fuel also.

5. Lynden-Jeff

Hey,

Thanks will do. I just went out and checked the oil again before I ran it a final time. it measured 3 out of 4 dots between add and full. I ran it mowing for a good 10 minutes and check it again and it said above full. How do you get an accurate reading? lol.

Thanks for your time.

Jeff

6. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

did you wipe the stick the first time. or just checked it. Oil will get up on the stick from running.. Wipe the stick then re-check

7. Lynden-Jeff

Yep always wipe and then dip, never just check it.

Cheers
    Jeff

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

What engine is on this unit ???

9. Lynden-Jeff

2006 13.5 hp vtwin kawi

10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

If it runs fine then what is the problem? Probably just backfired or misfired and made a strange noise. If oil level is fine then no problem correct?