wut do you pros think?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lawnmower_Man, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Lawnmower_Man

Lawnmower_Man LawnSite Member

hey guys i'm just starting out and i went out and bought a Tanaka straight shaft trimmer and a Tanaka Blower. i already have a Toro self propelled mower. Do u think that thats enough to start out with. and is Tanaka a good commercial brand? cause i was going to get redmax but the guys at the dealer told me that they thought Tanaka was just as good. i hope i didn't go out and blow my money. that would be a bad thing to do especially now that i'm barely starting out.

wut do u think?
  2. Seanl33

Seanl33 LawnSite Member
    from NH

How Many lawns do u have
  3. midtnstone

midtnstone LawnSite Member
    from mid tn

not sure about the tanaka brand but to start out you should be fine the more you grow you can start preparing to buy bigger and better equipment. my suggestion is to go try other brands like stihl, redmax and others get the one that feels good to you not the brand i think both stihl and redmax are good but i use stihl because where i buy them is just down the road plus they stock about everything. i which you the best of luck on starting out.
  4. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

any equipment is "good enough" ...start somewhere and work hard to grow from your beginnings...
  5. Lawnmower_Man

I only have 4 lawns but i have big hopes and i just want to be prepared for wut might come my way.
  6. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

Ive used Tanaka Whipper snippers for years good stuff.The local council also uses them about 30 or so.Strong reliable and fairly priced
    Dont know about the blowers though
  7. LHSlawnman86

LHSlawnman86 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

i would try to buy a used 36 incher
  8. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Lawnmower Man,
    You'll be fine with Tanaka. I demo'd a Tanaka blower this past season and it will do the job just fine. I liked another brand a bit better and went with that, but nothing wrong with Tanaka, not sure it's just as good as Redmax according to other fellow LCO's but you'll be fine. Much better handhelds then what I started out with. As for the Toro, good brand but a 21" may be a little small for some lawns. But as your customer base builds you can upgrade to a bigger mower to increase efficiency.

Along with your equipment get General Liability insurance, and register your business. After you've done that you will have enough to get started. The best method of getting business in this field is by word of mouth, and that won't happen unless you do quality work. Start by getting some flyers out to prospects, or talk to people that you know. Make sure you research your market for correct pricing and stay in that ballpark. Good luck!

9. Lawnmower_Man

i'm already registered but i need insurance. any idea on the cost?
  10. Lawnmower_Man

about how much does one run? a decent one! i know you wouldn't be able to tell me the exact price, but throw a guesstimation at me!