WWW bad customer list?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Ive heard mention of it before, why isnt there such a thing especially in this industry?:confused:

As always, i have a problem each season or two with a customer. I had a customer in a development i cut a lot of lawns in, request a single cut. His lawnmower broke etc... I have my brother go out and look at his lawn, I quote him for it and he says that sounds fine. Since it was a one time thing there is no seasonal contract for this. Were at the development, my brother goes to cut this lawn and its already cut? wtf

I call the lady up, shes not home obviously, and the husband says, oh yeah, we already took care of it. Now this only took place in a timespan of ~2hrs. So the other company was in and out of the development between looking at the lawn and going to actually mow it :hammerhead:

So, im like whatever, jerkoff. Then about a month later, a lady calls, gives me her address, not registering in my busy mind that #16 is the ahole that just had his cut last month and didnt inform me after requesting the quote. These are 800k+ homes too.

Lady says, we only want it cut one time if you can, we're going to go away and dont have time to cut it. ok, this time im in the development, drive over to cut this lawn and pulling up, its already done recently? Now im like, you gotta be kidding me if this is the same freking customer.

I knock on the door, equipment in the driveway ready to mow, and some foreign lady answers that speaks poor english. She says they already mow it. I said, well is this house #16? I spoke to ______ yesterday about mowing it today, Thursday. I said you must have had the wrong people cut it because she definitely called my company for this house address. Lady says i already pay and obviously doesnt understand.

I already have that weeks bills made up, go out monthly though. So i send them the bill for "one" $50 lawn cut since now this is the 2nd time they've stuck me. Call and left a message. Called again a week later. Nothing. Sent out another bill a month later with a $5.00 late fee now. The ORIGINAL guy who called me the first time, the husband i assume, says i never cut his grass and why i send him a bill? Hes mad finally. We go over how they call me to cut the lawn twice within about a month, and both times i show up and its already cut, of course im going to bill him. I have his wife's voice mail the 2nd time when she originally asked me to come and cut the lawn. "proof". He says, but you cut in this place anyway, its not like you make a special trip for my house. He started out somewhat understandable, then he just started talking jibberish and i could barely make out many words. He wouldnt stop talking and I said you know what, dont pay the bill, and dont call my company for sevices anymore, he kept on talking like a maniac so i hung up.

Its not worth anyones time to try to collect $60 or whatever with tax. Then again, all the people who have small bills, under $100, what do you do? This customer probably had two other companies show up to cut the lawn since the guy even told me he called a bunch of local LCOs that the 411 directory gave him :dizzy:

Why not make an internet list of known defaulting or bad business customers?

Like www.raplist.com or www.defaultclient.com ? There could be groups so that its not ONLY lawn/landscape clients but all types of people? Is something like this illegal? Obviously you couldnt post on their phone numbers or information as such, but their name and address and a short discription of the "main" problem with dealing with them in a particular business.

Design it so the site cant have its databases downloaded for telemarketing, but you would have to enter a direct address or first and last name per state to find information.

I felt iffy about this customer the first time i talked to the "lady", but for no apparent reason other than it seemed a bit "rushed and odd" talking to them.

Any registered companies only, site should require your TIN #, could create a database entry filled out completely for their state of work, about a specific unresolved problem.

-Ive had people refuse to pay, and it be my fault for bad or no documentation.
    -Ive had people request via email for services, then say they never signed it, yet i have proof of their demand for service, but still not worth my time in court.
    -Ive had people change the scope of work and then deny the change or are not happy with the change while landscaping due to their own mental dislikes of what they chose.
    -Ive had customers sign lawn contracts, cut two weeks and Im calling to find out why they have not sent their first payment in yet, only to find out they now are complaining about the service and don't want to pay anything, usually because suddenly they can't afford it or want to delay paying the bill.

There should be a popdown list of the major problems with a particular client, it should make every companies life a lot easier if some one or residence is on that list.

If i posted a message stating that so and so on 1 abc lane requested a 20k landscaping quote then decided not to do it. Although that doesnt warrant a "bad mark", possibly the same guy has called 40 different companies, wasting their time, and having all of them go into depth with lighting, landscaping, irrigation, hardscaping quotes and has no intention on actually doing business with any of them.

Possibly jane doe on 5 maple avenue has LCOs come out once or twice to mow the lawn, refuses to pay because she states shes unhappy with service, the current LCO drops her, she doesnt pay anything, the next LCO comes in and the same thing. all the while, ONE customer has wasted many LCOs time in quotations, bickering on the phone about how shes unhappy, invoicing that never gets paid. At the end of a season, this one client has paid nothing and wasted countless hours of our time.

2. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I think theres already something like that but bigger, equifax,transunion and experian

3. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

yes, i said lets start this last year...

for folks who bounce checks and stuff

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

One HUGE concern would be legalities. I think it would be a fantastic idea but at the same time, it could be an ideal place for some poor LCO to get sued for slander.:confused:

5. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

Hey ram air you should try dealing with the asian indian clientele here in north jersey!! i had one stop me today they dont even want to get out of the car they wave to you. He asks me to make the leaves go away if I can give him price? I say okay I can stop by. I give him a estimate and tell him its for 1 cleanup and I'll come back in 2 weeks hit it again and every 2 weeks till its done I tell him its 55 a hr and he thinks its 55 for each cleanup:dizzy:so I explain it again and then the wife joins in and says I WANT THE DISCOUNT PRICE!! i tell her thats my price!! she then wants to know how much to mow de lawn I tell her 35 a week she wants me to cut it 1 time a month:confused:I tell her I cant do it that way due to the wear and tear on the mower I get this all the time I try to be nice and explain the costs involved and I always walk away scratching my head and wondering why I try. I think there should be a pita list!! Later :laugh:

6. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

make sure they sign a proposal before you step foot on the lawn. we all say it but from time to time we all get burned........

7. Ramairfreak98ss

yeah i know. I guess you would have to really keep to the facts when listing problematic customers lol. Since in the future no LCO would ever show up to give them a quote.

8. Ramairfreak98ss

yeah, its the little things that would take longer to type out than the job itself. Sooner or later, im going to require people supply an email address if they want "immediate" service, if they dont at least email me with their address, im not going to take the time to write out a quote and then hope they send it back signed to go cut a $50 lawn.

Tom C, lol south/central and north jersey ARE all the same haha. Trust me i get it bad around here too, i always hate to discriminate or just NOT offer a quote to anyone but sonner or later i think every business seperate good and bad customers. I have people try to give me $30 for a snow blowing quote of $60 at the last m inute,theres 24" of snow in their driveway, for $100 im doing them a favor and only charging $60 lol. Its always a slap inthe face.

I had a guy in july call me over, ask for how much to remove his "DIRT" in his driveway, another landscape co left about 10 yards + of hard clay they dug out of his garden beds on his cement driveway.. I told him its at least $125+ to dispose of the clay at the dump, he says i give you $100 lol. I said no its $125 JUST for disposal, plus i come in withmy loader and dump trailer and guy to load up, i said your in the $400-$700 range buddy. He says no can do for $100 :hammerhead::hammerhead::walking:

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

would you really go to badcustomer.com before doing every estimate, evan if it was free? Just part of the game.

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

When this has come up previously, I made another suggestion, and will repeat it here too. When making the "www bad customer" list, be sure to make a "www bad LCO" list to go with it. This will give potential customers information about picking an LCO to do their work. Customers don't want to get stuck with an LCO that does not do what was promised.