x-10

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by jbailey52, Nov 30, 2006.

1. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok system is up and running using 3 journeyman 2 600 watt and 1 900 watt (front of house.. back yard with pool, pool house etc..) Anyway Im thinking about this x-10 system... I went to the website... most confusing website Ive ever been on.. seems all they do is sell you on the idea of installing their product... but I have no idea how this works with a low voltage system.. can someone share??? is it an outlet replacement? Does in installin the transformer (This cant be) Someone please help. Thanks.

2. Lightscapes

Lightscapes LawnSite Member

X-10 is an excellent option for multiple transformer installation, I have used them many, many times.

Outlet replacement is an option X-10 offers, but their plug-in appliance modules are far easier. All you need is 1 PAM-01 module for each transformer (module plugs into transformer itself), and 1 timer (either the PHT-02 or the newer XPMT1) for timed control of all transformers. I also strongly recommend at least a passive coupler (XPCP) or maybe a Passive Coupler/Repeater (XPCR) for a larger property/installation. The coupler is installed at the breaker box, and it serves to allow X-10 communication through the whole system.

You can also add remote controls by adding a transceiver and desired remote - everything just plugs in!

3. jbailey52

Im looking at the pam01 on the web.. it seems the transformer plugs into this module, then this module plugs into the outlet?.. it doesnt look weather proof? Im confused...

4. jbailey52

Im looking at the pam01 on the web.. it seems the transformer plugs into this module, then this module plugs into the outlet?.. it doesnt look weather proof? Im confused... seriously this x-10 website is the worst website I have ever had to look for something to buy

5. Lightscapes

The appliance module will plug into the transformer INSIDE the transformer cover. Open the transformer, right in the middle is a plug in an outlet. This is where the module goes... Replace cover, weatherproof!

6. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

my lighting guy was just telling me about x-10. I would like to install it inside my house so I can turn on lights when I pull in my drive. I always trip carrying my kids into a dark house. not bad prices either.

7. jbailey52

Ok.. makes sense.. I appreciate your help... how does this control the transformer going on and off being hooked inside the trans? Also, for multiple transformers all around the house... how will one remote work with all three.. does the remote need to be pointed at these or is the signal strong enough to control them all at once? Thanks again!

8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

x 10 signals run over the existing power lines. If you want all the trans to come on at dusk and turn off together just program each modual to come on before dusk and let the photocell take over then shut it down whenever when you program the central timer.

Typical set up for me would be

x 10 mini timer in the home
    x 10 tranciever (only if a wireless remote or keychain is used)
    pam 01 inside each trans
    other x 10 componenets can be added if they wish to tie in line voltage. You can also use the motion sensors...photocells ect.

This is EXTREMLY nice if clients have a backyard system they dont want on every night like the fronts. I find the keychain control to be a nice sales point altho the range on them leaves something to be desired.

I really suggest picking up the basic components then plugging them into a lamp or 2 at home and getting a feel for the system. Its VERY easy to install

9. Lightscapes

The timer or remote/transceiver injects on and off signals into the 120V service, which is then interpreted by the modules. Each module can be set to a different code (address), and only responds to signals of the same code. If you want 2 or 3 of the transformers to come on at the same time, simply set them to the same code. The remote is sending the signal to the transceiver, not directly to the modules. The transceiver gets plugged into a convenient outlet. There are a couple of remotes available. One is a key fob that will only control 2 addresses, there are also remotes that will control 8 addresses.