X-Factor Deck QOC?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtmower, May 3, 2012.

1. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

Seriously considering a Gravely 460 and I did demo one on dry flat ground and it seemed to do pretty well in the 30 min. I drove it. I like about everything else about the machine. Just wondered if anyone is using this deck in northern grasses and how they're doing?

2. Maple Wood

Maple Wood LawnSite Senior Member

We bought 2 460 with the 29 efi this spring. We are running them side by side with Scag cheetahs in mostly fescue and blue grass. So far the guys fight over who runs the 460's. In most conditions the cut is a little better than the scag.

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Have you had to cut any wet or damp grass with them yet? if so, got any pics?

4. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

In dry conditions the X-Factor wins hands down. Best I have seen in many years. In wet conditions the velocity is still the best but the X-Factor is still really good. I have yet to double cut or clump.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I will be cutting wet grass tomorrow and will post some pics.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

The X-Factor leaves a VERY good smooth cut in northern turf. You will be hard pressed to find a deck that cuts northern turf better than an X-Factor. The 7 Iron is another that is simply incredible in northern turf and the 7 iron does discharge better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is right after over an inch of rain. The grass was very wet.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  7. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Can you take some video of cutting longer grass than what you did on your place?

Very nice property you have by the way!

8. mtmower

MP, do you feel the EFIs have enough power for the 460's? Could they bag and do hills? I am planning to go with the FX921V (31 hp biggest gasser they offer) due to a lack of power I've found with a 28 EFI on my 66" Hustler Super Z. The EFIs been great other then no hp. and I would love to get the gph.

9. Maple Wood

Maple Wood LawnSite Senior Member

I think that the 29 efi is a little short on power for bagging. They run very similar to the FX850v. Enough power for cutting but not bagging.

10. mtmower

Thanks MW. Was thinking about the same even though the Gravely would have smaller pumps on it then the Hustler. My first would be the FX921V and then I may consider an EFI on the second or third ZTR. That way I'd have the best of both worlds. Of course by the time I can buy the second and a third they maybe running on bubbles (EBI) or grass clippings (EGI).;)