Lawn Care Forum banner

X-Factor Deck QOC?

74K views 233 replies 23 participants last post by  Nick52 
#1 ·
Seriously considering a Gravely 460 and I did demo one on dry flat ground and it seemed to do pretty well in the 30 min. I drove it. I like about everything else about the machine. Just wondered if anyone is using this deck in northern grasses and how they're doing?

#227 ·
Update.

Once again Gravely/Ariens exceeds my expectations as a company. Wed. was the third visit the reps made (including the demo) to look at my situation this time bringing the head of commercial development. The second visit they even brought out an identical 460 to do a side-by-side with. We did quite a bit of testing. We reinstalled a front baffle kit that I had tried before, repitched the deck at one point 1/2" just to see (back down to 1/4" now), and tried a sixth blade type, which we spaced down lower in the deck. I've never had a company get this involved to help solve problems. My hats off to them.

For anyone having less than a perfect cut they introduced me to the most aggressive high lift blade I've seen for the 460. It's a Stens, 2.5", flat, notched, high lift that has even more lift wing length then Oregon's most aggressive blade according to Dennis at Oregon. This blade is aggressive enough I'm actually hearing my FX921V work a little for the first time. My grass is going dormant (may have one to two weeks of cutting left) so I don't have the correct conditions any longer to test thoroughly. I'm now cutting shorter, and with all the above mentioned it is doing somewhat better in the lift department which is to be expected somewhat when lowering the deck. This blade is throwing clippings now like my XR7 with the VX4 high lift blades. The down side I see is that I have more clippings that need blown around after the fact not unlike my XR7. It's not as sever but noticeable. Some of this again is due to cutting shorter and the lifting of previous uncut grasses.

As far as deck depth is concerned, I brought this up to the reps/development head, and they verified that it's being used now across the board with most all mowers. It provides the needed space for the mass of clippings traveling through the deck to make the trip without negatively effecting the grass coming into the deck to be cut. In a shallower deck the clipping volume may reduce lift and fight the incoming grasses to be cut.

Depending how things go I've been considering seeing if I could install a set of Flex Forks on my 460. The ride would then be.....
I'm not surprised one bit that Gravely is helping you out! Hope you get it all worked out. Did the Rep tell you about the new X-Factor deck coming out in the spring? It will have a bigger discharge opening and adjustable front skirt!!

#228 · (Edited)
Update.

Once again Gravely/Ariens exceeds my expectations as a company. Wed. was the third visit the reps made (including the demo) to look at my situation this time bringing the head of commercial development. The second visit they even brought out an identical 460 to do a side-by-side with. We did quite a bit of testing. We reinstalled a front baffle kit that I had tried before, repitched the deck at one point 1/2" just to see (back down to 1/4" now), and tried a sixth blade type, which we spaced down lower in the deck. I've never had a company get this involved to help solve problems. My hats off to them.

For anyone having less than a perfect cut they introduced me to the most aggressive high lift blade I've seen for the 460. It's a Stens, 2.5", flat, notched, high lift that has even more lift wing length then Oregon's most aggressive blade according to Dennis at Oregon. This blade is aggressive enough I'm actually hearing my FX921V work a little for the first time. My grass is going dormant (may have one to two weeks of cutting left) so I don't have the correct conditions any longer to test thoroughly. I'm now cutting shorter, and with all the above mentioned it is doing somewhat better in the lift department which is to be expected somewhat when lowering the deck. This blade is throwing clippings now like my XR7 with the VX4 high lift blades. The down side I see is that I have more clippings that need blown around after the fact not unlike my XR7. It's not as sever but noticeable. Some of this again is due to cutting shorter and the lifting of previous uncut grasses.

As far as deck depth is concerned, I brought this up to the reps/development head, and they verified that it's being used now across the board with most all mowers. It provides the needed space for the mass of clippings traveling through the deck to make the trip without negatively effecting the grass coming into the deck to be cut. In a shallower deck the clipping volume may reduce lift and fight the incoming grasses to be cut.

Depending how things go I've been considering seeing if I could install a set of Flex Forks on my 460. The ride would then be.....
Now that is what you call customer service! Out of curiosity what is the part number to the ultra high lift blade? I have a few lawns including my own that my 160 and 460 simply will not lift the grass in the tire tracks to cut it cleanly. Our grass is still growing well here for now and I would be willing to buy and try a set before everything slows down in a few weeks.

Its not 355-331 is it? Stens shows 8 blades that are 20.5" long with a 5/8 center hole.

http://www.stens.com/Portal.aspx?CN..."&SELECTORDER=-C--5EAD8D692DFB--671CADE30C5A-

#229 ·
Now that is what you call customer service! Out of curiosity what is the part number to the ultra high lift blade? I have a few lawns including my own that my 160 and 460 simply will not lift the grass in the tire tracks to cut it cleanly. Our grass is still growing well here for now and I would be willing to buy and try a set before everything slows down in a few weeks.

Its not 355-331 is it? Stens shows 8 blades that are 20.5" long with a 5/8 center hole.

http://www.stens.com/Portal.aspx?CN..."&SELECTORDER=-C--5EAD8D692DFB--671CADE30C5A-
Sorry to take so long getting back to you. It is indeed the 335331. As of now it's cutting cleaner, putting more clippings out that in some cases is enough of a problem that I need to blow them around afterward, and getting more grass collecting under the deck as a result. It's hard to say how much of the change in QOC is due to the set up now or due to my grass drying up and going dormant, along with cutting lower now.

#230 ·
It is the 335331 we also added a front available baffle kit and placed two large washers between the spindles and the blades to slightly lower them. It's cutting better, putting more clippings out that in some cases is enough of a problem that I need to blow them around afterward, and getting more grass collecting under the deck as a result. It's hard to say how much of the change in QOC is due to the set up now or due to my grass drying up and going dormant, along with cutting lower now.
335331 is a 33" long blade for a snapper. ;)

So it is the one I posted? I might order a set to try out myself.

#232 ·
Either that, or you just figured out his QOC problem for him:laugh:
It would be super nice! Not convinced yet though. I've run two sets of factory blades, G6 blades, a set of straight Stens with a rolled lift approx the same height as the oems, the hottest blade Dennis at Oregon could throw at me witch is a straight 2.5' notched high lift fusion, the oem mulch blades with the mulch kit, and now these super Stens. The Oregon fusions and these are identical except for the two extra holes Stens feels the need to put in them and the Stens lift wing is approx .5" longer which should create more lift. It's packing the deck more which may have to do some with the front baffle install and working the engine a little. So seat of the pants tells me there is more lift being created. Just not as much as I'm use to with other brands I've run. We're getting closer.

#233 ·
335331 is a 33" long blade for a snapper. ;)

So it is the one I posted? I might order a set to try out myself.
Hey PSC, tried to PM you but couldn't. I just wanted to know if you had used a Snapper with a 33" blade on it? I have one that I mounted a spray tank on that I use to spray Round-UP. I just wondered how it was at picking fall leaves up (I only do a fairly small area). If you've used one, does it have good lift?
Thanks, Stan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.