Lawn Care Forum banner

X-Factor Deck QOC?

74K views 233 replies 23 participants last post by  Nick52 
#1 ·
Seriously considering a Gravely 460 and I did demo one on dry flat ground and it seemed to do pretty well in the 30 min. I drove it. I like about everything else about the machine. Just wondered if anyone is using this deck in northern grasses and how they're doing?

#203 ·
Well I have been running my 452 for a couple months now and have say the I am not getting the crisp cut that I get on my exmark and Deere. Deck is pitched 1/8 forward. Blades are sharp and balanced. Leaves are falling here and I noticed with the vac on there are stray leaves left behind. The x factor just doesn't seem to have the vaccum my other mowers do. Just doesn't leave that crisp cut like my exmark. Open to any ideas that might help.
Same problem i had in 2008 when i bought my gravely 260 with the X Factor deck. I tried everything but it would not cut as crisp, thankfully gravely took it back after 2 weeks of trying everything .

#205 ·
I would think you'd need more then 1/8" pitch with a rear mounted bagging system.

Just the empty bagger, with your butt in the seat, probably puts you at negative pitch. That's w/o full bags.

What are your RPM's when using the Bagger?
Posted via Mobile Device
The mower cuts the same with the bagger on or off. Dont get me wrong the cut is not terrible just not a crisp cut. Notice it more when cutting over 3.5 inches. The deck itself doesn't seem to have the vaccum my exmark does. Stinks because the mower is super comfortable to run with the air ride seat and smooth as silk hydro's.

#206 ·
I had my first bad cut with the X-factor deck today. I cut a dry fine fescue lawn and it left straglers everywhere. I switched half way through to my Scag with the Velocity deck and had the same results. I think these open decks have a hard time with the dry conditions on fine grasses. So I think its more the grass than the deck. Im now wondering if a lot of people with QOC problems this year are in dry areas with fine grasses?

My next property was the one pictured below and the X-Factor cut great again.

Sky Plant Leaf Tree Street light

#207 ·
I have been very disappointed with my MOD deck due to stringers, but after reading so many different threads with guys complaining about stringers (and almost all are cutting finer type grasses), I am starting to believe myself that it's all due to the dry conditions this year whcih has created some really limp grass that doesn't have enough weight/mass to it for the lift from the blades to suck up for a clean cut. At least I hope that's it.

#208 ·
I have been very disappointed with my MOD deck due to stringers, but after reading so many different threads with guys complaining about stringers (and almost all are cutting finer type grasses), I am starting to believe myself that it's all due to the dry conditions this year whcih has created some really limp grass that doesn't have enough weight/mass to it for the lift from the blades to suck up for a clean cut. At least I hope that's it.
I believe this as well. I own a JD 717a and have been dealing with the same problem but only lawns that are thin and dry. Thankfully just throwing on some G6 blades fixed the problem for the majority of the lawns.

#209 ·
Wet or dry thin blade grass flops over if cutting to high. We have always had trouble and all our lawns are irrigated so you do the best you can and doublecut when necessary, all decks have issues under certain conditions.

#210 ·
Wet or dry thin blade grass flops over if cutting to high. We have always had trouble and all our lawns are irrigated so you do the best you can and doublecut when necessary, all decks have issues under certain conditions.
QOC is my biggest battle. My SZ leaves a clean cut with no or very very few stragglers even at a good speed. My 460 is bad. Disgusted with the QOC, especially when cutting higher in tall thin or even thick irrigated fescue. Stuff is matting down terrible. I must spend a great deal of time "lifting" the matted grass from the wheel tracks with my trimmer around the outer loop. The 460 has little to no lift. The SZ has ten times the lift but I still battle the matting and battle poor clipping dispersal because it leaves a carpet of full length clippings. Tried a mulch kit for the first time in my 13 yrs. of commercial cutting (other than my push mowers) and the 460 stragglers were much less. If I tried to push it at all got a mowhawk from between center and right blades. Also leaves clumps that I have to disperse with my back pack blower. Super dry here but almost all my properties are irrigated and growing 3-7" in seven days. I don't think any mulcher can keep up with that. Frustrated as well.

#211 ·
QOC is my biggest battle. My SZ leaves a clean cut with no or very very few stragglers even at a good speed. My 460 is bad. Disgusted with the QOC, especially when cutting higher in tall thin or even thick irrigated fescue. Stuff is matting down terrible. I must spend a great deal of time "lifting" the matted grass from the wheel tracks with my trimmer around the outer loop. The 460 has little to no lift. The SZ has ten times the lift but I still battle the matting and battle poor clipping dispersal because it leaves a carpet of full length clippings. Tried a mulch kit for the first time in my 13 yrs. of commercial cutting (other than my push mowers) and the 460 stragglers were much less. If I tried to push it at all got a mowhawk from between center and right blades. Also leaves clumps that I have to disperse with my back pack blower. Super dry here but almost all my properties are irrigated and growing 3-7" in seven days. I don't think any mulcher can keep up with that. Frustrated as well.
Some of that around the edge of the lawn always gets worse it seems this time of year. The front wheel lays it over and if you have a little indention or rut it gets real bad. If your really wasting time trying to stand it up and trim it, I found that my walkbehind and bagger works well for picking it up and cutting it on my particular customers. In fact don't be afraid to drop it a little shorter around the edge if needed. Nobody ever has complained when I've done this.

I never had any luck with my SuperZ but i had the XR7 deck and it left strips between the center and left side blade, if not both sides. My Exmark decks were better here. I'm a little surprised the X factor is not picking it up better. My Outlaw had some cut quality issues until I bought some very cheap Scag hi lifts wow what a difference it made in the 2010 deck. Have you tried double blades at all to create more lift, sucks more gas but might speed things up and help with the cut. Always make sure your deck is very clean as well as this effects the air flow.

#212 ·
Some of that around the edge of the lawn always gets worse it seems this time of year. The front wheel lays it over and if you have a little indention or rut it gets real bad. If your really wasting time trying to stand it up and trim it, I found that my walkbehind and bagger works well for picking it up and cutting it on my particular customers. In fact don't be afraid to drop it a little shorter around the edge if needed. Nobody ever has complained when I've done this.

I never had any luck with my SuperZ but i had the XR7 deck and it left strips between the center and left side blade, if not both sides. My Exmark decks were better here. I'm a little surprised the X factor is not picking it up better. My Outlaw had some cut quality issues until I bought some very cheap Scag hi lifts wow what a difference it made in the 2010 deck. Have you tried double blades at all to create more lift, sucks more gas but might speed things up and help with the cut. Always make sure your deck is very clean as well as this effects the air flow.
I'm even battling grass laying down where previous wheel tracks intercepted in the middle of the yard and I change up my pattern every cut. A good part of my properties like water and fertilizer. I finally got into the fertilizer/pesticide biz two years ago to try and help regulate growth better. Even when only watering 3-4 times a week still seems like the grass is heavy and saturated. If I cut the water back much from that we start seeing dry spots. Most of my properties I only fertilize two or three times a year and it I still have places that will grow 4"-6" in seven days.

Good idea dropping the cut on the frame out lap. I have never tried double blades. This is partly due to the fact that I feel if all was right I shouldn't have to. May come to that though. Not sure it could suck more fuel. This 921 is a 2.0 gph thirsty beast. I've run the OEMs, flat rolled high lifts, G6s, flat notched high lifts, and the OEM mulch blades. IMO it has to be due to very little vacuum and/or lack of lift or odd turbulence under the deck.

On a positive note the discharge is pretty good and this deck, even with the mulch kit, stays cleaner than any deck I've run to date.

#213 ·
I'm even battling grass laying down where previous wheel tracks intercepted in the middle of the yard and I change up my pattern every cut. A good part of my properties like water and fertilizer. I finally got into the fertilizer/pesticide biz two years ago to try and help regulate growth better. Even when only watering 3-4 times a week still seems like the grass is heavy and saturated. If I cut the water back much from that we start seeing dry spots. Most of my properties I only fertilize two or three times a year and it I still have places that will grow 4"-6" in seven days.

Good idea dropping the cut on the frame out lap. I have never tried double blades. This is partly due to the fact that I feel if all was right I shouldn't have to. May come to that though. Not sure it could suck more fuel. This 921 is a 2.0 gph thirsty beast. I've run the OEMs, flat rolled high lifts, G6s, flat notched high lifts, and the OEM mulch blades. IMO it has to be due to very little vacuum and/or lack of lift or odd turbulence under the deck.

On a positive note the discharge is pretty good and this deck, even with the mulch kit, stays cleaner than any deck I've run to date.
The only thing else I would try is going against the grain and dropping the deck 1 notch to help stand it up and cut it off. Are you waiting for the dew to dry before cutting, Ive had a lot of issues like this too from so much dew?
I try to make sure the irrigation has been turned off for 48hrs before mowing too. I know you have some pretty large properties, so double cutting may not be an option but it helps you can cut less off the 1st pass then lower the deck and crisscross it again. You may have to experiment to see what works best. Conditions are always worse for me in the fall, and sometimes no deck can handle it as well as I like it to be without some changes to what you normally do. The double blades really creates more lift but is not something I would do all the time.

#214 · (Edited)
The only thing else I would try is going against the grain and dropping the deck 1 notch to help stand it up and cut it off. Are you waiting for the dew to dry before cutting, Ive had a lot of issues like this too from so much dew?
I try to make sure the irrigation has been turned off for 48hrs before mowing too. I know you have some pretty large properties, so double cutting may not be an option but it helps you can cut less off the 1st pass then lower the deck and crisscross it again. You may have to experiment to see what works best. Conditions are always worse for me in the fall, and sometimes no deck can handle it as well as I like it to be without some changes to what you normally do. The double blades really creates more lift but is not something I would do all the time.
With the mulch kit installed I have been going in the reverse direction since it's not side discharging. Does some good but also is quick to lay it over the other direction as well. My other issue now with the mulch system is the grass height/growth somewhat regulates my cutting height. If I cut too much off I've got gobs of time blowing clumps of clippings in the whole yard.

On the dampness of my properties the dew is off. I've been waiting till 9:00-10:00 am to start cutting. This cuts into productivity of course. Doing pretty much the same as you on the irrigation. Have it off roughly 48 hrs. before mowing.

I have double cut several yards ( even some 50-70,000 sqft. ones!) with mixed results (and lost time). When side discharging, this is more helpful than mulching, and you can also make better time due to faster processing speed.

All I need is Super Z speed and cut with a 460 seat and discharge, bigger tanks and a 37 hp engine that gets 1.0 gph. Oh and grass that is dry, stands up tall and straight when it hears me coming, and only grows 1.5" in seven days. Is that too much to ask for?:laugh: I guess a guy can dream right?

#215 ·
With the mulch kit installed I have been going in the reverse direction since it's not side discharging. Does some good but also is quick to lay it over the other direction as well. My other issue now with the mulch system is the grass height/growth somewhat regulates my cutting height. If I cut too much off I've got gobs of time blowing clumps of clippings in the whole yard.

On the dampness of my properties the dew is off. I've been waiting till 9:00-10:00 am to start cutting. This cuts into productivity of course. Doing pretty much the same as you on the irrigation. Have it off roughly 48 hrs. before mowing.

I have double cut several yards ( even some 50-70,000 sqft. ones!) with mixed results (and lost time). When side discharging, this is more helpful than mulching, and you can also make better time due to faster processing speed.

All I need is Super Z speed and cut with a 460 seat and discharge, bigger tanks and a 37 hp engine that gets 1.0 gph. Oh and grass that is dry, stands up tall and straight when it hears me coming, and only grows 1.5" in seven days. Is that too much to ask for?:laugh: I guess a guy can dream right?
Short of bagging its hard to fix the problem . Sometimes I use 2 different mowers on 1 lawn, 1 set up for mulching I usually make the first cut when dry with it. Then Hi lifts and side discharging on the 2nd pass. Either that or use tunnel vision and ignore what you see. Sometimes the customers never notice it. But it still bothers me. I use to double cut every lawn with my 66inch Super Z because I could fly 14 mph on the 2nd pass and make a nice looking stripe while cleaning everything up.

#217 ·
If I had the chance I would opt for the Pro Ride.
I think MT would benefit from the high flow deck.
I mean, if you're getting a half a foot of growth in one week
that deck would seem better for that...no?

High Flow Tunnel Deck - Featuring heavy-duty 7-gauge welded construction and overlapping blades, this expertly engineered deck quickly levels the tallest grass in no time. Breezing right along devouring grass, you can confidently protect your trees and shrubs as you trim, thanks to a pliable rubber discharge chute.

High Flow Tunnel Deck quickly levels tall grass in one pass

1.5” overlapping blades prevent streaking

Set back blades from front edge of the deck allow grass to stand up before being cut leaving a professional manicured appearance

#218 ·
If I had the chance I would opt for the Pro Ride.
I think MT would benefit from the high flow deck.
I mean, if you're getting a half a foot of growth in one week
that deck would seem better for that...no?

High Flow Tunnel Deck - Featuring heavy-duty 7-gauge welded construction and overlapping blades, this expertly engineered deck quickly levels the tallest grass in no time. Breezing right along devouring grass, you can confidently protect your trees and shrubs as you trim, thanks to a pliable rubber discharge chute.

High Flow Tunnel Deck quickly levels tall grass in one pass

1.5" overlapping blades prevent streaking

Set back blades from front edge of the deck allow grass to stand up before being cut leaving a professional manicured appearance
I have a lot of experience with tunnel style commercial grade decks since I've owned several of them over the last decade.

I have one for my CUT that is a tunnel deck and 60" cut. Then I have my Z950 with the 60" Pro MOD deck. The tunnel deck will lay low any grass for sure, and cut cleanly, but it can't process material through as fast or as well in tall, and/or thick grass at the same speed as you can with one of the decks that are commonly used on most Z's will, ie; full depth over the entire cutting area.

#219 ·
I have a lot of experience with tunnel style commercial grade decks since I've owned several of them over the last decade.

I have one for my CUT that is a tunnel deck and 60" cut. Then I have my Z950 with the 60" Pro MOD deck. The tunnel deck will lay low any grass for sure, and cut cleanly, but it can't process material through as fast or as well in tall, and/or thick grass at the same speed as you can with one of the decks that are commonly used on most Z's will, ie; full depth over the entire cutting area.
then why would gravely make the shift?
Making the xfactor wider {with baffle adjustments} is pretty much making it
wider like the Pro Ride already has.

Your CUT is wide discharge, and overlapping blades to, no?

This is where the pro ride can claim "it will cut the tall growth at speed in one pass".

#220 ·

I don't think that you can say with 100% accuracy that ALL tunnel decks are created equal, just like you can't say that all "full depth" decks are equal...as far as each ones different strengths and weaknesses.

I have 2 zts, one 60" Gravely Pro Ride (tunnel deck) and a Lastec 61" deck, full depth 6" tall deck. THe Pro Ride will handle thick,tall grass considerably faster than the Lastec will. The Lastec has plenty of power to not bog down but it can't cut clean at as fast of a speed in those type conditions. I know the bottleneck on that deck is the small discharge chute (about the size of an Exmark Ultracut deck)

When I tested the Scag Wildcat and my ProRide in the real tall, thick grass, which I admit was too thick and tall for any practical normal type comparisons; the Pro Ride handled the conditions better than the wildcat did. It was processing the grass clippings as fast or faster than the Scag deck, while cutting a little cleaner on the first pass also, and at a little faster speed, which was still pretty slow, in this instance.

Until you've tried (name your mower deck) side by side with the Pro Ride deck at the same time and experienced any differences between the two, in the conditions that were talked about inthe above posts, please don't assume that ALL Tunnel style decks will perform the same as the JD Tunnel decks that you've used. You can't make generalized statements about a particular style of deck and be totally accurate (especially if you've never used the Particular deck that "unit28" mentioned , which was the ProRide Deck.)

I know you're not suprised that I responded to your post, RG:)

I hope to test,demo another Scag with hte Velocity Plus deck , and if I can find a JD 7 Iron or a Hustler with the VX4 deck next spring or whenever possible along with my Pro RIde and compare the results again.

Later,
Razorblades.

#221 ·
then why would gravely make the shift?
Making the xfactor wider {with baffle adjustments} is pretty much making it
wider like the Pro Ride already has.

Your CUT is wide discharge, and overlapping blades to, no?

This is where the pro ride can claim "it will cut the tall growth at speed in one pass".
I may be wrong about this, and someone can correct me if I am, but I believe that Gravely has had tunnel decks for some time now, in addition to the std X Factor deck design.

Yes, my CUT has a wide discharge opening, and a deep tunnel. To answer both you and Razorblades (who I knew would post:laugh:), it may be true that you can't say that all tunnel decks are equal, but all you need to do is look at the gravely design to see it isn't much different from the deck on my CUT. BTW Razorblades, I've also owned Toro tunnel decks, so I'm not comparing only Deere decks.

Maybe I wasn't as specific as I should have been before, so let me say this another way- a tunnel deck can and will cut cleanly, and can handle tall thick grass as long as the power is there to run it, but when the grass is long and/or thick, and especially when damp, the full depth decks just handle the cut material better because there's far more room for it under the deck. You will normally see a much better discharge pattern (ie; even spread out, less to no clumping, and much more finely chopped clippings, though some decks like the V+ send the clippings out fairly long too) with a full depth deck because of the fact that it can handle more material at one time, providing the discharge openings and blades etc are all equal.

There's a good reason that the full depth deck has become the industry standard on commercial machines. If the tunnel deck were equal to, or superior to a full depth deck for high material volume cutting at speed, you can bet the industry would be using them instead, or at least offering them as an option on commercial Z's, which they aren't outside of Gravely.

#222 ·
I may be wrong about this, and someone can correct me if I am, but I believe that Gravely has had tunnel decks for some time now, in addition to the std X Factor deck design.

Yes, my CUT has a wide discharge opening, and a deep tunnel. To answer both you and Razorblades (who I knew would post:laugh:), it may be true that you can't say that all tunnel decks are equal, but all you need to do is look at the gravely design to see it isn't much different from the deck on my CUT. BTW Razorblades, I've also owned Toro tunnel decks, so I'm not comparing only Deere decks.

Maybe I wasn't as specific as I should have been before, so let me say this another way- a tunnel deck can and will cut cleanly, and can handle tall thick grass as long as the power is there to run it, but when the grass is long and/or thick, and especially when damp, the full depth decks just handle the cut material better because there's far more room for it under the deck. You will normally see a much better discharge pattern (ie; even spread out, less to no clumping, and much more finely chopped clippings, though some decks like the V+ send the clippings out fairly long too) with a full depth deck because of the fact that it can handle more material at one time, providing the discharge openings and blades etc are all equal.

There's a good reason that the full depth deck has become the industry standard on commercial machines. If the tunnel deck were equal to, or superior to a full depth deck for high material volume cutting at speed, you can bet the industry would be using them instead, or at least offering them as an option on commercial Z's, which they aren't outside of Gravely.
IMO, the main reasons for the full depth deck being the "Industry Standard" on commmercial mowers is not because they excel at cutting tall,thick grass at high speed, it's because they are more versatile, being able to Side discharge, mulch or use a bagger with. Also because they chop up the clippings more doesn't hurt either.

What actual percent of Commercial ZTs sold do you think are sold with the MOST important reason being because of how well they cut tall, thick grass?
Less than 20%, I'd say.

Why don't you see if you can find an Everride Warrior or a Gravely Pro Ride to demo, use borrow rent etc... next to your JD ZT. That is what I did in the summer with the Scag Wildcat. I know what my experience was between the two. Wouldn't you say that hte Velocity plus deck will discharge as well, if not better in tall,thick grass than a JD 7 Iron. Ive read quite a few pepoles experiences that have used both that have said the Velocity plus discharges a little better than the 7 iron in those conditions.

I just think that you're wrong to assume that the Pro Ride or EverRide Warrior will perform nearly the same as the other Tunnel decks that you've used in the past. You could be right but until you've tried the EverRide Gravely deck side by side with your JD, you just don't know for sure. I bet the EverRide Pro Ride deck also has a good bit larger opening than the JD or Toro tunnel decks.

Sorry guys, for hijacking the thread but I will defend my experiences against others that make generalizations about certain types of equipment that my experiences didn't bear out the same results that are claimed by others.

#223 ·
IMO, the main reasons for the full depth deck being the "Industry Standard" on commmercial mowers is not because they excel at cutting tall,thick grass at high speed, it's because they are more versatile, being able to Side discharge, mulch or use a bagger with. Also because they chop up the clippings more doesn't hurt either.

What actual percent of Commercial ZTs sold do you think are sold with the MOST important reason being because of how well they cut tall, thick grass?
Less than 20%, I'd say.

Why don't you see if you can find an Everride Warrior or a Gravely Pro Ride to demo, use borrow rent etc... next to your JD ZT. That is what I did in the summer with the Scag Wildcat. I know what my experience was between the two. Wouldn't you say that hte Velocity plus deck will discharge as well, if not better in tall,thick grass than a JD 7 Iron. Ive read quite a few pepoles experiences that have used both that have said the Velocity plus discharges a little better than the 7 iron in those conditions.

I just think that you're wrong to assume that the Pro Ride or EverRide Warrior will perform nearly the same as the other Tunnel decks that you've used in the past. You could be right but until you've tried the EverRide Gravely deck side by side with your JD, you just don't know for sure. I bet the EverRide Pro Ride deck also has a good bit larger opening than the JD or Toro tunnel decks.

Sorry guys, for hijacking the thread but I will defend my experiences against others that make generalizations about certain types of equipment that my experiences didn't bear out the same results that are claimed by others.
I have never once seen either of those two machines anywhere- ever, and we used to do a lot of long distance driving on weekends before it got too expensive. They must not have been popular in this area, or I'm sure I'd have seen at least one or two by now. I doubt a demo is forthcoming.

BTW- the discharge on mu CUT's deck is very close to the size of the one on my Z. I'll have to measure it today if I get the chance, but it's close, and the Deere Z's have huge discharge openings. I really don' believe that the V+ discharges any better than the Deere Pro deck. It does leave the clippings longer though.

You may be right about why the manu's use full depth decks, but going by the info they post on either their sites, or in their brochures, they use the full depth decks for the reason I stated above- being able to process large amounts of grass at faster speeds.

I have had mulching kits for many tunnel decks and still do have one for my CUT deck. I also have had several baggers for them, and they both work perfectly with a tunnel deck. In fact, I'd say that the mulch kit is one area that the tunnel deck is superior to the full depth deck. At least it has been so far IME.

I would say that you are certainly in the minority in this industry as far as your opinion. If not, like I said, we'd see far more tunnel decks being used by the manu's. Yes, there are always exceptions to every rule, but it would take posting pages and pages of stuff to compare each brand and type of deck in detail, so most of us post about things particular topic like in general, not specifics.

It's amazing. I haven't seen you post here for quite some time now, but one little mention of a tunnel deck and, POOF!! there you are! Now I know how to get in touch with you if I ever need to.:laugh:

#224 ·
I have never once seen either of those two machines anywhere- ever, and we used to do a lot of long distance driving on weekends before it got too expensive. They must not have been popular in this area, or I'm sure I'd have seen at least one or two by now. I doubt a demo is forthcoming.

BTW- the discharge on mu CUT's deck is very close to the size of the one on my Z. I'll have to measure it today if I get the chance, but it's close, and the Deere Z's have huge discharge openings. I really don' believe that the V+ discharges any better than the Deere Pro deck. It does leave the clippings longer though.

You may be right about why the manu's use full depth decks, but going by the info they post on either their sites, or in their brochures, they use the full depth decks for the reason I stated above- being able to process large amounts of grass at faster speeds.

I have had mulching kits for many tunnel decks and still do have one for my CUT deck. I also have had several baggers for them, and they both work perfectly with a tunnel deck. In fact, I'd say that the mulch kit is one area that the tunnel deck is superior to the full depth deck. At least it has been so far IME.

I would say that you are certainly in the minority in this industry as far as your opinion. If not, like I said, we'd see far more tunnel decks being used by the manu's. Yes, there are always exceptions to every rule, but it would take posting pages and pages of stuff to compare each brand and type of deck in detail, so most of us post about things particular topic like in general, not specifics.

It's amazing. I haven't seen you post here for quite some time now, but one little mention of a tunnel deck and, POOF!! there you are! Now I know how to get in touch with you if I ever need to.:laugh:
I've read where the older EverRide's did pretty well bagging with their setup that was used on the gen 1& 2, which were the ones that used the Kohler 27 and kaw 25 (old rating) hp. Those baggers used a blower setup that was driven off of the pto clutch. In other words, it wasn't mounted at the deck.

I don't have much experience with mulching with a commercial mower so i can't really offer any useful info about mulching. I do have the full mulching kit for my Lastec, but haven't used it.

You may be right about the full depth decks with the large discharge openings being able to Process huge amounts of grass at a high speed better than tunnel decks. I just know that I have not experienced the superiority of the full depth deck in my particular weekend of using both side by side. However, I was testing them in the middle of a drought and very hot temps. I wanted to specifically test them in the "tougher cutting conditions" of the hot summer on the bahia I have to cut. I cut some weekly, biweekly and the very overgrown yard that weekend, so as to get a variety of heights and thickness of the grass.

For what it's woth, I never had any discharge, cutting clean or clumping issues this year with the Pro Ride when cutting at a high speed, even before the drought.

I'm used my opinion being in the minority on serveral topics. Maybe that makes me wrong on them, huh. It doesn't bother me (obviously) to go "against the grain, or popular sentiment" when I choose the equipment and mower brands/models that I do. Yes, it would be alot "easier" to go with the safe, popular, most reputable brands every time I purchased equipment. But I think that there are less popular brands of equipment out there that will do as good of a job as the most popular brands will do.

What is amazing is that I was able to buy the Gravely Pro Ride only 9 miles from my house and also be able to demo an EverRide Warrior a few years ago, only 25 miles from my house. It is amazing that there are no dealers around you in a state with a lot larger population than my state for these Brands. I thought i read in another thread that you were going to demo a Gravely Pro Stance. But you couldn't arrange for a demo (not that you should) of a Pro Ride from the same dealer?

I read threads in Lawnsite every day or night, I just don't post that much unless it is about topics that I have experience with or occasionally just an opinion on or maybe a question. I'm only 52 years old and while I have been cutting "part time" for about 10-11 yrs now, I just don't have the amount experience that alot of you have. So I keep my opinions to myself on those topics that I don't have experience or at least some 2nd hand knowledge with. I like to read you guys posts on the topics of interest to me. I enjoy them but don't always agree, but that's OK.

BTW, if you need to get in touch with me, there is this great user cp feature called the PM:laugh:.
Enjoyed the discussion.
Have a good day RG.:)

#225 ·
Razor-
I did my demo of the Gravely ProStance today, and psoted a review if you care to look at it at all. I may have been able to get a demo on the ProRide, but since I have a fairly new Z, and am only interested in the stander right now, that was all I asked for. I did ask the saleman who brought it out to me what all machines of Gravley's they carried in stock, and he ran down the list and it coverad a lot of them, but IIRC the ProRide was not one of them.

I'm not very computer savvy. User CP, PM, what the heck are you talking about?!? Guess I'll have to google them.:laugh::laugh:

#226 ·
Update.

Once again Gravely/Ariens exceeds my expectations as a company. Wed. was the third visit the reps made (including the demo) to look at my situation this time bringing the head of commercial development. The second visit they even brought out an identical 460 to do a side-by-side with. We did quite a bit of testing. We reinstalled a front baffle kit that I had tried before, repitched the deck at one point 1/2" just to see (back down to 1/4" now), and tried a sixth blade type, which we spaced down lower in the deck. I've never had a company get this involved to help solve problems. My hats off to them.

For anyone having less than a perfect cut they introduced me to the most aggressive high lift blade I've seen for the 460. It's a Stens, 2.5", flat, notched, high lift that has even more lift wing length then Oregon's most aggressive blade according to Dennis at Oregon. This blade is aggressive enough I'm actually hearing my FX921V work a little for the first time. My grass is going dormant (may have one to two weeks of cutting left) so I don't have the correct conditions any longer to test thoroughly. I'm now cutting shorter, and with all the above mentioned it is doing somewhat better in the lift department which is to be expected somewhat when lowering the deck. This blade is throwing clippings now like my XR7 with the VX4 high lift blades. The down side I see is that I have more clippings that need blown around after the fact not unlike my XR7. It's not as sever but noticeable. Some of this again is due to cutting shorter and the lifting of previous uncut grasses.

As far as deck depth is concerned, I brought this up to the reps/development head, and they verified that it's being used now across the board with most all mowers. It provides the needed space for the mass of clippings traveling through the deck to make the trip without negatively effecting the grass coming into the deck to be cut. In a shallower deck the clipping volume may reduce lift and fight the incoming grasses to be cut.

Depending how things go I've been considering seeing if I could install a set of Flex Forks on my 460. The ride would then be.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.