1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

X-mas cards sent to ALL customers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PR0 TURF, Nov 29, 2002.

1. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

With no work to do outside with all this snow ive decided to get a jump start on my Christmas cards. My question is would you send a card to a customer who is not a weekly customer? For example someone that you've only done a spring cleanup for or some other fairly small service at some point during the year, would they get a card? I'm planning on doing so...just wanted to see how you guys approached that

Also how do you sign your cards...name & business name? Personal message? Anyone include a business card?

Just want some opinions....
  2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I get my "Holiday Greeting" cards from NEBS and they print our company name and slogan inside them. I then personally sign them myself. Every customer I have, whether it's a one time job or weekly, gets a card. I actually just put "thank you" cards in the mail today for the end of the season and in two weeks I'll send the holiday cards. :)
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I send more and more cards every year.

all are sent to customers are signed in my hand as seasons greetings from both my spouse and me. and my card is enclosed.

as for the occasional customer. quite frequently they are included.

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

All of my regular customers get a Christmas card and I try to send one to every person I worked for during that calendar year, even the one time jobs. I send cards to my suppliers too. Been doing it since the first year I was in the biz, dont want to stop now.
  5. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing this year. i've never sent out Christmas cards but I thought this year I would becasue it's a godd gesture and improves your customer service. Now that you guys informed me, I might even send thank you cards for the work that I received this year. Hope everyone had an awsome thanksgiving :D Peace
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You are always better off to just go with a Season's Greetings or a Happy Holidays card. It's possible to send a Christmas card to the wrong people.
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have always sent Christmas cards to all of my customers, even if it was just a one-time cleanup customer. It is good public relations and good advertising. Only customers who do not get a card are those who I plan to dump at the end of the year. They are not worth the price of a card and stamp. :D
  8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Every regular customer gets a card. The big accounts get pretzel tins. My golden goose account gets pretzels and usually a $100 gift certificate. Last year they got a dinner certificate. The year before it was a helicopter ride.
  9. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

All of my customers receive a 'Seasons Greetings' card.

The new customers get a magnetic business card inclosed. Most stick it on the fridge...which is cool when their friends and family raid the fridge over the holidays. :)

My customers that have been with me for 2 years or more get a non-transferable 'One Free Mowing' certificate that is redeemable after June 1st of the coming year. They really seem to like this and it keeps 'em coming back for more each year. As all of my accounts are residential, and are $50 or less per visit, it is not a big hit to my wallet either...plus it keeps me in their minds over the down (winter) period. It is just a tad larger than an actual dollar bill (made it from scanning a $20) and then working it over with my graphics program.

(Here is a smaller example)

I like to send my cards out a few days after Thanksgiving. This allows the customer plenty of time to reciprocate if they so desire...and most of them usually do...so it usually comes out about 'even' when all is said and done. Everybody is happy, and my loyal customers can rest assured that I value their business and that I am thinking about them even when I'm not getting into their pockets on a weekly basis. :D :D :D
  10. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I just sent out to all the regualr and one time customers....I had 3 pain the neck one timers that I never want to see again so I did not send them a card...I do a little variation on what most guys said above...I found actual "Thank You" cards at the card store...with a Chrismtas theme....the outside has a nice wreath with bows and above that imprinted in tasteful handwriting are the words "Thank You" ...you flip up the outside and the inside is blank and there I write.."Wishing you a Happy and Healthy Holiday Season"...I sign it and below my sig I attach one of my return address business labels. It does take a bit longer to do it this way but ...I like the fact that my card (if your customer displays them) will stand out/be different than most of the other cards they will receive....and I'm always trying to find ways to stand out from the crowd...ps...I do buy all of my biz supplies from Nebs but I felt their imprinted card prices were more money than I wanted to spend