x-mas/h20

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Toy2, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay sprinklers guys and gals, need help....put up X-mas lights for a customer last saturday....today comes and his sprinklers stopped working???? See the connection? I know there is none, but homeowners thinks the lights have something to do with it///WTF....house is 5 years old, he claimed it did this before and some kid he knew blew the lines out??? I have never heard of this in this town...I found the main valve, its on, I found the anti-siphon valve...I think thats it, it was next to the house in a valve box, it had 5 bleeder screws, i messed with them and nothing, the back yard has a Toro valve that I turned counter-clock to see if that would turn them on...nothing...I checked the power in the garage...thinking i had tripped the GFI with the X-mas lights....nothing....someone please help me fix this.....thanks...happy Thanksgiving!!!!

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Are you saying that there is no water to the system at all or is the homeowner thinking that the controller isn't firing the sprinklers?

3. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Forget the controller. If you couldn't manually turn on the water, then there is a problem in the line somewhere... like a valve being shut off. Anti-siphon valve in a valve box? Nah, it sounds like a double check, and you were opening the testcocks. Double checks have inline valves, input and output, that have to be open. Are you sure they were open, especially the input valve on the device.

Be careful messing around with the testcocks, because they will keep turning around and around, opening and closing. With no water to the device, you could easily leave one open, and then if the water came back on, you could have a flood on your hands.

There could also be a master valve being used.

4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Four bleed screws in a box would be the backflow device and should be a double check. Main water valve (to the sprinklers?) is on but you have no water at the backflow device? Then the water is off somewhere. Is the house water and the irrigation water the same? If not, is the meter off? or are you missing a valve? Are the valves in the backflow device open? are they ball vavles or gate valves? If it is an older gate valve device, the first gate may be broken in a closed position, but the first testcock (bleed screw?) should still give you water even if the other 3 would be dry.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

If it the system uses a master valve, and you did somehow kill the timer, then it would prevent the zone valves from getting water.

But...if you were not getting water at the backflow, then I don't know. I've never seen a double check installed after a master valve.

6. PurpHaze

Personally I think we need more and better information as to exactly what is happening and how things are lined up. :p

7. Toy2

Thanks for the response, this system is totally jacked, cheap install///my 02...the bleed screws
    are in a valve box very close to the front of the house???? In the back yard he has a small valve box with a single Toro valve with wires to the vlave, I turned this one counter clock to see if something would fire up, nothing...I unscrewed it all the way and had a steady stream of H20...the sprinkler line tees off at the street.....when I messed with the bleed screws, a little water came out of each one, as I closed one the small stream would increase to the next and so on.....so I tell him to call he buddy....the kid to fix it???? Gate valve at the street, 2 ball valves, one in front of the anti, and one in back....the line goes under the house from there....i hope he never has a leak there..

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The first mistake was returning to the scene of the crime. If a breaker didn't trip, there won't be any connection between lights and sprinklers.

9. PurpHaze

Christmas lights are electrical and irrigation systems are hydraulic with an electrical (controller) interface. The only way I can think of this guy not having any water is if there is a master valve or pump that is activated by the controller.

10. Toy2

Old people on fixed incomes always attempt to tie things together.....mowed the lawn on 9/10......caused 9/11...that type......I just want to make sure i've done all I could and pass it off if needed....and of couse it has to be my neighbor.......Happy Turkey day to all!!!!