X-Mas Lightin flyers

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by Frontier-Lawn, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i have been thinking of doing lights this year. anyone here have ideas for a flyer, and how to price the installs?

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

3. Frontier-Lawn

4. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i might use something like this...

5. Frontier-Lawn

got that one, im trying to get ideas to put on it

6. Mile High

Mile High LawnSite Member

Just get the flyers out and they will call. Last year we charged $60 a man hour with a 4 hour ($240 minimum). This minimum is for both up and down, since we can get small jobs (front and doors only) done in 3 hours up and 1 hour down. We will raise our rates this year to $80 per man hour to cover the call backs we had to do but could not charge for. Our minimum will be $360.

7. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

HOw many strands or feet of lights can you put up in an hour?
    i have heard something like 6 bucks a strand.

Do you charge the minimum to put them up and then again to take them down or one price includes both?

8. Frontier-Lawn

so far i have come up with this.

Attached Files:

9. Mile High

Mile High LawnSite Member

I don't measure how many strands the guys can put or take down per hour. I don't really care because I am billing hourly (I would care if I felt they were working especially slow, but they aren't). Most clients of ours are little old ladies who just want their own icicle lights hung on the front of the house an perhaps around the front door or a small tree. Some companies do charge by the strand. Call your lighting supplier for help on this. Yes, the minimum is for both up and down (for us they come down twice as fast as they go up).

10. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I like this idea. I've installed a huge amount of lights at home for years and enjoy it very much. I've never really installed for productivity purposes, that would be interesting. Safety is a big concern. GFCI outlet would be required.

I do have a question... I've always used indoor grade extension cords due to the fact that I can't find an outdoor grade 2-prong cord. What types of cords do you installers use?

I've not run into any safety issues, and open-ended plugs and plugs lying on the ground have always been sealed with electrical tape.

Any pointers would be appreciated.