X-mas Tree Mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigdaddyspags, Jun 7, 2004.

1. bigdaddyspags

bigdaddyspags LawnSite Member

What mower/trimmer/other would you guys use to maintain the grass and weeds in a large field of Balsam firs planted six feet apart? I have used lawn a lawn mower, but some years we get behind and the grass and weeds get over three feet tall before we can get to them. We have tried Round-Up, but that leaves nothing in place to prevent erosion, nevermind not being able to drive anything near them after it has rained. All ideas are welcome. Thanks.

2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know how large of an area you are talking, but a friend of my step dad's has his trees on 7' centers on 10' rows i think, and they placed nursery matting and bark from the local mill under the rows to eliminate the weeds growing up in the trees, and to make simple, single rows to bushhog between.I think Dick has about 4 acres of trees this way. The apple and peach trees(50 acres+) are just bushhogged and trimmed around maybe once or twice a season.

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

sorry, hit the button twice..same reply..ooops!

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

my grampa owns a christmas tree farm and he uses a mowing atachment for his john deere backhoe and just runs through it. hope this helps

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I would email Dixie Chopper.

I remember my dealer telling me that he was demoing a "Bat Wing" attachment for a DC so that it could mow between Xmas trees. It sounded like a V-Wing that only your head stuck out of. Protected the trees and you.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have a large Xmas Tree farm that I do once a month. I use a Toro 325D 4 wheel drive mower with a 72 inch front deck. It's sweet cause I can get the deck under even the lowest of tree branches without damaging them and never have to use a trimmer as well.

7. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

We use a Kubota BX23 with a 42" bushhog to mow between the rows. Then we use our Stihl brush saws to cut the brush between the trees within the rows. We might bushhog twice a year but we only run the brush saws through once a summer.

On the steepest part of the farm where we can't run the tractor we use a Gravely walk behind bushhog and a DR Field and Brush mower.

8. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I got a 42" landpride brush hog for sale. If anybody wants one. send a PM for more info. Fit any of the Kubota BX series or a JD 2210.

Seiner 4 wheel tractors have a mowing attachment just for doing Christmas tree farms. Only seen pictures of it. But it looks neat. Around here most farms have a 5' or 6' brush hog on the back of a large farm tractor. because thats what the farms used the rest of the time on the regular farm. Only seen one farm with a kubota B7510N with a 42" woods brush hog. The rows were like 4' apart, between the little baby trees.

9. bigdaddyspags

bigdaddyspags LawnSite Member

thanks for the ideas, i've been checking out some of the equipment mentioned

10. Sam-Ohio

Sam-Ohio LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

If you have enough trees to justify the purchase price of a Steiner with a tree farm mower - they are terrific machines.

This mower was engineered to do this particular type of specialty mowing and so it does it just great.