XCU = same as PCSCU (slow-release fert)

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by americanlawn, Oct 21, 2009.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I agree Larry--the XCU particles seem harder. Slightly abrasive. Almost hard as stone. They spread nice.

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Here's a pic of the label of the 44-0-0 XCU fert we're currently using. The ingredients sound "cheap" (like me) :laugh:, but the results & spreadability are very nice. The prills are white & light blue in color.

Note who is advertising just above this post. :laugh:

XCU label.jpg

3. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

So larry that fert is a 100% xcu how much do you apply per th
    Charles Cue

4. americanlawn

from midwest

3 lbs per K. Sometimes a little more on clay soils/thin areas. Roughly 1/ 1/2 pounds of actual N per K.

I remember aplying 46-0-0 urea (no slow) at 4 lbs/K in the old ChemLawn days. (central Iowa)

5. CHARLES CUE

Larry if your putting down 1.5 lbs of n i take it that your putting down a 1 lbs with your spring pre m so are you doing how many apps with xcu
    thanks
    Charles Cue

6. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Wow!....I know were in different areas...but in the northeast......clay usually requires LESS fert than sandy loam. I cant even put more than .5 lbs of quick at any one time without major runoff issues

7. americanlawn

from midwest

We offer just 5 rounds (instead of 7 that TruGreen tries to sell around here). We used XCU fert in all apps this year*. Round one was a little less than a pound of actual N. We prefer to apply the most N per app during early fall & late fall (whether it be liquid fert or dry).

*Early fall app (round 4): Ride-ons use (granular) XCU fert + weed spray when needed.....I still remember getting criticized on this site for saying we could "skip" areas with our ride-ons regarding weed spray. :laugh: But we do.
    Small lawns usually are hand sprayed with liquid "weed & feed" (synthetic-organic liquid fert)....Hannay reels w/half inch hose, TeeJet lawn guns, Tuflex 300 gallon tanks in 2500HD Chevy/GMC pickup trucks.

mdlwn1 - Clay lawns here need more fert (especially nitrogen). Soil tests show this. In the spring, we can easily see which (clay) lawns did not get a winterizer fert app. It makes a huge difference in color. turf density, and growth come spring.

Not saying we always do things right, but we try to follow local land grant university guidelines. This is why I enjoy lawnsite.com, cuz I always learn ways to do things better. You two guys raised questions I like to hear, cuz it makes me think if there might be better ways to do stuff. Thanks, Larry :waving:

8. CHARLES CUE

So larry does this mean you put down about 7 lbs of n per year
    Charles Cue

9. teejet

teejet LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

So are 100% or the prills coated or just 30%? I may buy a pallet and try it out.

10. americanlawn

from midwest

teejet - only 25 or 30 % of the prills are coated, but never any burn or streaking...go figure.

CHARLES - we end up applying about 5 pounds of actual N per year (full program customers). During the spring, the highest amount of N (with pre) has never been more than an 18 or 19% product. We load up on N in the fall so we feed the root system & get carryover the following spring. Nice results, and that's what ISU likes too.

BTW with all the rain we're having this fall, I like some slow-release N, even though some say it's a waste of money. So right now, we're sold on XCU fert. My 2 cents