1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Xmark belt-drive walk-behind

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Anita Bower, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Anita Bower

Anita Bower LawnSite Member

Does anyone have experience with the 48" XMark belt-drive walk behind with the new ECG controls? We mow about 1.2 acres of lawn--pretty rough in spots because our dogs dig it up looking for gophers, plus .5 acres of road and trails in the back of our property (We have 15 acres and also own a DR Brush Mower). However, my question is about 1) belt drive vs. hydro, and 2) using it on a rough lawn.
    1) On this forum many have recommended spending the extra money for the hydro. In this case, however, the hydro is $4,200, vs. $2,700 for the belt drive. A substantial difference. How much might we regret a belt drive?
    Is a hydro really worth the extra $1,500? (The XMark ZTR rider is $5000)
    2) My son (16) noticed that the wheels on the walk behind might be small enough to get caught in some of the dog holes.

Our goal is durability and saving time, not a beautiful lawn, which we don't have. If it's green and we can mow it, it's a lawn, is our philosophy.
    In fact, my long-term goal is to minimize lawns, but that will take years.

I really hate the idea of spending all this money on a mower. But, we have gone through 2 used riding mowers in the 8 years we have lived here, and don't want to go that route again.

Another option we have considered is last year's model (new) Simplicity ZTR rider for $4000. We can tell that the X-Mark is better quality, but the Simplicity might be adequate for our needs. But, $4,000 is way more than I want to spend.

We haven't considered a used mower because we are not mechanically inclined, and, we went through those 2 riding mowers pretty fast.

Neither my son nor I are large, so we don't want a mower we have to muscle around.

Any thought or suggestions?
  2. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

Go to your local shop and try them both out. Hydros are easier to maneuver in reverse and are true ZT. Hydros tend to have larger wheels than the belt drives. I always recommend a used hydro. Just make sure it wasn't beat on and you should be good for a real long time and save a bundle as well. If your lawn is really not flat you might want to consider a floating deck. If it's just the occasional hole then don't worry about it - just avoid driving the wheels into them.
  3. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

The belt will work fine and last you a long long time. Don't forget to add for a selky. I prefer the ecs controls to the pistol grip. Arms and hands are not as tired after a full day mowing. In my opinion the extra for a hydro would be nice but a waste for only 1.2 acres a week.