XMAS lighting help please

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by EagleLandscape, Nov 12, 2007.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I have 2 trees that I need help estimating on how many mini lights I will need. I buy them in 25' strands.

Both trees are oak trees, and I will just be going up to where they begin to branch.

1) 10' tall & 1' in diameter.
    2) 10' tall & 1.5' in diameter.

Can anyone help me estimate how many strands I will need? I will be using village lights if that helps any. Thanks.

2. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Village says to add the hight and width to come up with and estimated number of strands needed. Example: you want to wrap a tree 10' up and the tree is 2' wide, the total would be 12 strands. This is the way Village Lighting tells you to estimate the number of Super Mini strands you will need.

3. Firefly Lighting

Firefly Lighting LawnSite Member

I would say 9-12 strands each.

4. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't do Christmas lights, but I know a little useful math.

The circumference of a tree can be calculated from its diameter using the formula:

c = π x d

π = 3.14159265​

So a tree 1 ft. in diameter is 3.14 ft around.
    A tree 1.5 ft. in diameter is 4.71 ft. around.

How densely are you wrapping the trunk? If you were to space the strands 1 in. apart, 10 ft. tall is approx. 121 wraps.

If each wrap is 3.14 ft. long, then 121 x 3.14 = 378 ft.

378 / 25 = just over 15 strands.​

If on the other hand you space the strands 1.5 in. apart, 10 ft. tall is 81 wraps.

81 x 3.14 = 255 ft.

255 / 25 = just over 10 strands​

If 1.5 in. spacing seems right, then for the other tree that's 4.71 ft. around.

81 x 4.71 = 381.51

382 / 25 = just over 15 strands.​

5. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Not to hi-jack your thread but those that are reading this thread, What do you do when you need to cross the road to get the power to the trees? (there are no outlets near the trees). Snow removal = problems.

6. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

This sounds like a problem that I would not want to have.

7. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Someone must have run into this. Shopping centers, nursing home entrances, gas stations, how would you do it? :confused:

8. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I would think that the best way to solve that problem would be to have an electrician install a gfci plug at each parking lot island, side of the street, etc. so you wouldnt need to run across pavement. that in itself is a giant tripping liability as well.

9. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

bore or cut open driveway and install outlets. Under no circumstances should you leave a trip hazzard. That goes double for commercial properties unless you like being sued.

10. EOL

EOL LawnSite Member

SAY WHAT!!!!!!!