xmas tree weighs how much?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Guthrie&Co, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

just a cut tree not a b&b tree. 6-8 feet, i need to figure this for my tag weight and to see how many i can get on the trailer this year. how much do you guiys think they weigh? i am guessing in the 40 to 50 lbs range. does that sound right?

2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

my friend did trees last Christmas, his truck weighed in at 9000, the trailer weighed in at 2,500 and with 300 trees the whole rig weighed in at a little over 19,000. I hope this might help you some. The trees were from 5 ft to 10 ft tall.

3. Guthrie&Co

from nc

anyone else have any input?

4. Guthrie&Co

from nc

just one last time then i will let the thread die.

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think i would agree on your 50# estimate. Maybe a little more.

6. PLM-1

Take this at what it's worth: The adaptability of the species should be considered. Many species are shipped outside of their natural area and may not be adaptable to other areas. Check with a reliable nursery.

Keep in mind that living trees are very heavy and bulky. A six foot tall balled and burlapped tree will weigh as much as 250 pounds.

This one basically says the same thing: Live trees, as tall as 6 feet, can be purchased, but they will weigh 250 pounds or more. Most people buy smaller live trees, under 3 feet, which are more affordable and easier to move around.

7. Guthrie&Co

from nc

i understand what your saying. and i appreciate it. but i am just wanting to know how much a cut tree would weigh for tree lots in various areas, various markets. the abeis fraseri wont live under 2300 ft elevation. the main reason i wanted to know this is because of the weight i am tagged to pull this year. i dont wont to exceed that limit because it is a quite hefty fine. thanks for the info though

8. PLM-1

Not a prob. I just did a quick search on google and those were the only weight hits i got! Good luck! BTW, let me know how much one weighs if you find out!!!!

9. Guthrie&Co

from nc

i will do. i have a guy right now that is looking to order 1,220 trees at the end of this year. so i am sure i will find out exactly how much they weigh.

10. LawnMowerBoy48

LawnMowerBoy48 LawnSite Member

I worked at a farmstand for a couple weeks selling trees a couple years ago, 40-50 pounds is a good estimate for a tree of 6-8'.