XP Engine Accessability

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by jpzink, Aug 7, 2001.

1. jpzink

jpzink LawnSite Member

The introduction of the XP has been greatly anticipated and needed. There is however an inherent problem with accessability to the engine compartment. Is Exmark looking at this problem? Comments from the field are very negative, ie how do you pour oil into the top cover.

Recommendations are for Exmark to hindge the radiator so it will flip out of the way or to make it quick attach. There is also the idea of rubber shock mounts to eliminate fatigue due to vibration over time.

I know this costs money, but in the long run it will make the product more durable and easy to maintain.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

jpzink:

Thanks for contacting Exmark Manufacturing with your inquiry. Before I answer your question, I think it’s important to tell you why the engineers made the XP the way they did. The rear engine deck and upper frame were designed to maximize airflow throughout the engine compartment, make the structure more rigid, and protect the engine from anything that may cause damage to it.

You mentioned that we have an opportunity to improve the accessibility to the engine, especially to the oil fill area. Our engineering group is looking into our options.

You also suggested the addition of “rubber shock mounts to eliminate fatigue due to vibration over time.” I’m not sure what you are talking about here. Are you referring to the seat or what? Please clarify this when you get a chance, and we’ll continue from there.

I would also like to invite other Lawnsite.com members who own or use the XP to make their suggestions here for other ways in which we could improve it. And finally, Fred Fugett would like to remind you, Mr. Zink, to never bet it all on the eight ball!

Thanks again for your input,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Care

3. jpzink

jpzink LawnSite Member

Dustin, thanks for the reply. They stuck your foot in the bucket. Tell Fred I only play for ear rings, he'll understand.

I know there needs to be protection for the engine and I applaud the efforts of engineering to do this, but perception is that it is not easy to work on the engine. This brings up the objection, even though the cooling capacity and air flow far out performs the competition. I know you can't accommidate every suggestion, but I think this is a worthy project. If hindging is out of the question, then look at a quick mount system.

As for the vibration, I am sighting a possible future oportunity. The radiator contains cooling tubes that have soddered connections. Over time these will break loose from normal vibration from the engine. I remember that all Loader Tractors had rubber mountings on the radiators to alleviate this occurance.

Little improvements will make this machine even more desirable for potential buyers.

Thanks Dustin:angel:

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

jpzink:

The perception of one's product is often one of the things that drive interest and sales, so I agree that we should address the accessibility issue. All I can tell you is that our engineers are aware of the opportunity and are looking at some different options for enhancing the serviceability of this fine machine.

Thanks for clarifying your statement about vibration and rubber shock mounts. You mentioned the issues that the radiators on old loader tractors had. Many of the problems with the radiators on the tractors were because the engine was mounted directly to or was part of the frame; therefore, it was necessary to have something to absorb the vibration being transmitted to the radiator. If they would not have a rubber mounted radiator, the vibration from the engine would shake the it apart. On the XP, however, we use our "DynaFocal engine iso-mount system" (three motor mounts) to help absorb a lot of the vibration. As a result, the engine only comes into contact with the frame through the rubber mounts and the belts and a minimal amount of vibration is transferred to the radiator.

Also, in our testing both in the field and at the factory, we have not encountered any problems regarding fatigue cracks to the soldered connections of the cooling tubes in the radiator; however, maybe you are right. I will be sure to pass your comments on to the decision-makers here at the factory.

Thanks again for your caring and concern,

Dustin
    ;)