XR-7 cut quality issue?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Shady Brook, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I have been trying to cut my lawns a bit higher for the summer due to the extreme heat. I find with the fusion blades in good growth that I get alot of uncut grass if I try to cut at 3.5". I get a better result at 3.25, but still misses quite a bit. Now I mow in a mix of cool season grass, and have been experienceing good growth. Most of the missed grass is not apparent unless you run your hand through the grass, or have to blow some surface grass with a blower. The blower reveals the fact that the deck is not getting great vacume. I read where if you want to cut tall stringy stuff you should move the front baffle down and drop the blades with a spacer you will cut better. What about on normal grass in medium to fast growing conditions, is there a baffle setting, or blade setting that will give better performance? It looks like I have barely any forward pitch to the deck, pretty near level to maybe and 1/8" forward pitch.

Would the blowout baffle possible help? Do you have a part number for a 60" blowout baffle on a xr-7 Super Z?

Any suggestions would be great. At present it is not cutting as clean as my old Super Z.

Thanks for your help.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Have Rigg's look at the pitch and also I would add the spacers and lower the baffles in the front.
    I don't think the blow out kit will make a difference in this case.

Pj

3. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

It has been my experience that my Xr-7 as delivered will need to stay on the trailer when I cut my accounts that require a 3 inch+ cut.. It's more cost effective to leave the 66" deck sit and cut it once with my chopper.. I won't be in business long if this continues...:nono:

I cut 3"+ at 70%-75% of my accounts

4. Shady Brook

from Indiana

Imow4u2

That is a pretty expensive beast to have as a back up mower. I checked my pitch, and I have a 1/4" pitch forward as I am supposed to, as well as nice sharp blades, and it is not cutting clean at 3 1/4. It is really bad at 3 1/2 as you are aware. My workers don't want to cut with it because it neither cuts clean, nor disperses the grass well enough to not hide it. The problem with that is if you blow, you really find the uncut grass. I grow more dissapointed by the day. I will try the spacer and drop the front baffle as well as get the RPM's checked. I really think it must have to do with the high front edge of the deck. I think this must be hurting the vaccum. I love all the machine but the cut so far.

;)

5. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 LawnSite Member

im having the same problem to your not alone

6. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I live in Wa St and I have bought 4 or 5 different brands of mowers and demoed many more. I can not to this day on a well growing fertilized lawn with any mower I've tried get a clean cut on 1 pass unless I slow down and cuting at least 1 1/2 to 3 " of grass. Most of the time we are cutting 4+ inches of damp sticky grass. Then I have to make them dissapear So I have always double cut and we are making more money since we started double cutting years ago. I've tried Grasshoppers, Walker side discharge, Exmark the best cut so far, Cub Cadet Tank, Toro, Scag, and Hustler Super Z 66" which looks great and compares to the Exmark. So is there no way to can just raise the deck 1/4 inch and double cut at 15mph??
    I don't know if this would work for any of you but if you have 2 Z s why not have one that side discharges wide open and the other that mulches everything into oblivion on the 2nd pass?

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I am less than impressed with the discharge on my 60" XR-7. With crabgrass season at a multi-decade high, it is even worse. My 60" Ultra-Cut would ALWAYS discharge at least TWO full swaths over. I'm sometimes lucky to to get ONE. Then on your return swath back, your mowing that grass, plus your discharge clumps.

This condition almost mimicks my experience with my SCAG WB. Turbo baffle. It FIXED my SCAG, made it disperse the clippings further and much more evenly.

PJ mentioned a special front baffle, I want to try that with a combination of spacing the blades lower (1/4" not 1/2"). I think with this combination and the future addition of a Turbo baffle, this deck has a LOT of promise.

I also have some concern with the stiffeners between the front skirt and the front baffle. There are several reinforcing stiffeners that seem to catch a bit of grass. Are THESE messing with the airflow? They're catching grass, so they are definately in the "FLOW" area. My Lazer had none of these.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Shadybrook, give us an update when you make the modifacations. May save some of us time and effort if your sucessfull. Thanks

9. Shady Brook

from Indiana

I spaced down my blades 1/4", and did not need to drop the front baffle. I was using double highlift blades...x-blades for the dixie chopper. They suck the life out of the motor and I think are stressing the clutch. I think the cut was a bit better, but I do not know if I should attribute it to the dropping of the blades, or the fact that double blades with more lift then the fusions were giving more lift. I will try a single spaced down to see if there is any difference. I don't want to go lower then 1/4" down, or I will never get it on the trailer. I already drag on the trailer with the blades as normal, and with 1/4" spaced down, the mower is really hanging up bad.

I sure wish I did not have to clown around to get the cut I am after.

Has anyone had the starter trying to engage while mowing? I am not sure if it is in the kew switch or in the solenoid. The key is in the operating position without hanging up. Maybe it is a relay. I think it put a hurting on the flywheel already.

10. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I have heard one other report of this here on LS, e-mail me your model and serial #.