XR-7 Cut Quality

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by blackandgold, Sep 7, 2006.

1. blackandgold

blackandgold LawnSite Senior Member

The Hustler distributor I work for has been seeing, testing, and fixing the cut quality problems recently posted here, with Hustler engineers.

This is what we have determined.

Dealers and customers will soon have a bolt in kit available that basically makes the front baffles of the deck, like the old or "interim" deck with the wide discharge opening.

It has been our experience that the XR-7 deck is creating too much lift, and blowing the air and grass back out the front of the deck, therefore not lifting and cutting the grass properly-especially between the center and trimside spindle.

In some applications, the accessory air flow kit, which lowers the front edge of the deck, has significantly eliminated blow out, but not neccessarily improved the cut quality.

In most damp or wet conditions in the upper midwest, we have found that the front triangular "blow out" baffles should be removed. This will eliminate the grass from building up (on the trim side) underneath the front of the deck and help the grass remain upright before the blade cuts the grass.

Lowering the blades with blade spacers, have resulted in no cut quality improvements in the midwest, but have increased impact related problems with spindle shafts, and scalping.

Hustler, and their distributors, are working hard to take care of everyone experiencing these and other related problems.

I encourage all customers who are seeing these issues, to contact your dealer to order this kit from their distributor. I do not currently have a part number for this kit, but will post one asap.

Some dealers may not be aware of this kit, or this issue.

If your dealer is unaware of this, reccomend they contact their distributor for more information.

I would like to hear responses from customers in any region regarding these issues.
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I was wondering how this kit you speak of that lets you bolt the front baffles in differs from the lift kit I was sent by Hustler which lowers the front baffles and adds one extra baffle in front of the left/middle bades. I have the baffle in the wrong place in the picture, should be on the left side. This has improved smoothness of cut with grasses that tend to lay down and also improved the dicharge with and velocity. I was getting grass that was not uniform in cut lenth before but now the cut is fairly uniform up to about 3.75" and then steadily falls off. Yes I get more buildup but quality of cut is more important than the clean deck. I would like to have both. To be fair to Hustler we have experienced some of the worst conditions for late Summer that I can remember. Short drought followed by heavy and then steady rains since. Lots of weeds in the grass here, not pure stands of turf. So I will include this picture which is not laid out exactly right and ask if you can describe the kit you speak of that makes it more like the old deck. My cut is satisfactory below 4" after this kit was installed but would love to improve it even more. Thanks very much for your input. Tacoma200

3. Elkbow

Elkbow LawnSite Member

It sounds like Hustler is doing all it can to fix the problem. I commend Hustler on a quick response to their customers needs. I am seriously considering the Hustler Z, with a 23 hp Kawasaki and 60" deck. I live in Texas, is this problem occurring on southern grasses, too? It seems like most all the problems I've read have been in northern climates.
  4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

He is speaking of the kit you already have and you have pictured here.

5. jcltyson

jcltyson LawnSite Member

What is the kit part number and is Hustler covering the cost?
  6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

When he says "front triangular "blow out" baffles should be removed. This will eliminate the grass from building up (on the trim side) underneath the front of the deck" what is he talking about. I'm not sure if he's talking about the air control baffles that come standard on the deck or the triangular piece that comes with the lift kit?
  7. D and H Seasonal Services

D and H Seasonal Services LawnSite Member
    from SE, Pa

Will there be a charge for this kit being as Hustler is trying to fix their flaw in design?? or will they offer it free??
  8. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I don't have the information available to post on the part # and the details of the kit.
    When I do I will post it, hopefully this week sometime.

9. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for the post Blackandgold

I have the lift kit, and supplementary triangle in presently. I have tried everything you have suggested short of removing the triangle again. I believe the kit has helped to some extent. I believe on lush KY blue it is cutting cleaner. Where I see the most problems is on the more whispy fescues, and the tall fat bladed fescues. There will always be some stringers in my passes, and more then just a few if there is some fescue mixed in. As Tacoma has said conditions have been adverse with rapid growth, but then again this is what we face in the Spring and the fall, we just got a good dose all year.

I fear that if we get grass that starts to stress or is not a real thick healthy stand, we will get serious blowdown! If I am not vaccing up whispy grass in a mixed thick tall stand, what is going to happen in a thin, stressed stand of fescue and rye.

I will try removing the triangle to see if it makes a difference.

Also, Blackandgold do you have any experience with guys using rear baggers with the new deck? I still have some blowout in the front of the discharge side that will make picking up leaves a nightmare! Any help would be great!
  10. 2Acres

2Acres LawnSite Member

How are the "older" decks on the Hustler Z? I'm looking at a 60" but it is not an XR7.