1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

XR-7 vs old decks?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Shady Brook, May 29, 2006.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Can anyone compare the two decks? I am interested in difference in the quality of cut wet and dry if possible. I would also like to know if you have to double cut less, ie. are the clippings larger or smaller then your old Z. Does it clump less then your old Hustler Z. Any input would be appreciated.
  2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I have had all the different decks and the 66" XR-7 deck is by far better than the other decks I had on the Super Z's. You will see on this forum where some people are having problems with grass being left with some of the XR-7 decks, I am waiting to here which size deck is giving this problem and exactly what Hustler's engineers have to say about what is causing the problem and how they solved it. The mower I have has the 28 efi where the last two had 27's and I can tell a lot of difference in power which will make this deck perform better. I have 44 hrs. on the mower and this means I have cut a lot of acres because what I cut is wide open large areas. I was cutting some very heavy dry grass yesterday and was discharging up hill which means I would have had to slow down with the 2005 27/60 I had before because it would not cut the grass into small enough pieces and discharge it far enough away. The new mower went through it and blew the grass and scattered it so far your next pass you were not even
    aware it had ever been there, I had to keep looking back and saying man there is a lot of difference in this mower and the other Super Z's I have owned. You will see in this forum where people are talking about having to double cut to get rid of the strip of grass their mower left, I personally have not double cut anything and would be very upset if I had to, this deck has done the best job I have seen by any Hustler deck and this is my experience only. I could possibly see the streaking problem start the next time I use the mower but I think it would have already started, at least it has not been a problem for me so far and I mow very fast, with this mower I have not noticed any clumping as I did with the previous Super Z's I have owned.
  3. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

I,m about the same as puppypaws in everything. SOOOOOOOOOO much better!!!
    Great in wet, dry tall and short no uncut grass with mine also.
  4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Thanks fellas, that is very encouraging!

I am really excited that it cuts and discharges well in all conditions, especially when wet. My only complaint with my current Super Z is when it gets wet it does not discharge well, or discharges clumps. I demoed a Deere with 7 Iron, and it did a great job of cutting and no clumping in very wet conditions. I did not toss the grass as far as I would have liked, but it did not blow chunks.

I really like the compact profile of my 04 Super Z. The new machines seem so much longer, and less nimble when compared to my 04. Any thoughts on this? Maybe it will just take some getting used too.

I thought the XR-7 cut really nice, but I did not think it broke up the clippings as well as my old Super, but now that I think of it I was running double blades at the time on my old Super. Long as I can double cut and make most everything disapear I will be excited.

Thanks again fellas!
  5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone run both the old 48" wB deck and the new 48" trimstar deck?
    Just wonder how they compare also.
  6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Yes it is a little longer and with the flex forks I think it may seem even more long but when I started mowing I noticed little difference in the way it handled for me personally, but you have to take in consideration I mow open areas. I think some of the commercial men could give a better opinion than mine because they mow in every situation there is. I just talked with a friend of mine that mows commercially in Charlotte, NC and he said he could not tell any difference and he has owned several Hustler's, he said if the dealer had not told him it was a longer frame he would not even know it and he loves the 28 efi and the 66" XR-7 deck. He said he did not know anything about the mowers leaving strips of uncut grass but now that I had told him about the people having this problem he would look closer and I said as plush of grass as you cut you would have seen this very easily so I feel assured your mower does not have the problem.
  7. WhiteRiverLawn

WhiteRiverLawn LawnSite Member
    from MO

i posted a reply on the other forum. i was having to double cut everything. the problem was and is on the 60" deck.

and NO. it doesn't cut the pieces into as small of pieces WITH THE KIT installed. it shoots out grass the same lenth as what is being cut off. on an open field and really big areas, who cares. but on a 2 million dollar house, right near the mailbox or front door, it makes a HUGE difference.

i have a 2002 72". at this point in the 60" fix, the old deck is cutting better. still dumps clumps when thick and wet, but on regular dry mowing, taking off 2-3", the older machine cuts as good. so much for new and improved higher price