XR-7 vs old Super Z decks?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, May 29, 2006.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

If you have experience with both decks, could you compare and contrast them in the different mowing conditions? Which discharges better? Do you have any scalping issues with the longer wheel base on the xr-7? Has anyone used doubles on the xr-7? I am not sure if I should stay with the old style deck or make the change to the new? Any thoughts would be great!

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Go to the Hustler forum. There are some that are having alot of trouble with the XR-7 deck leaving stringers. Hustler is working hard to figure it out but I'm not sure if they have yet. I not knocking Hustler. I think most of these company's have to work a few bugs out the first year or so with a new product. Kinda like the fuel injected Kohlers the first year or two. I'm glad I got the old Ultra Cut deck on my Exmark because I heard a few complaints on the Triton also so I'm sure both company's will work them out. Not sure how wide spread the problem is with the xr-7 but there are several with the same issue. Like I said I'm not trying to knock Hustler but I'd wait and see what the problem is, time is on your side. They will defintely work it out. Wow a quote by Thomas Jefferson with a picture of Robert E Lee.

3. tacoma200

Never mind, I see that you have posted there and allready know about the problems they are having. Hustler will get it fixed soon I'm sure.

4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for your input Tacoma.

I would like to think that Jefferson and Robert E. Lee would have got along just great. I would imagine that Lee would have been very fond of the writings of Jefferson. They were both great men though they would likely have denied it.

5. tacoma200

I can agree.

6. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I have used both. I traded my 05 Super Z for an 06 XR7 27/60. Hustler had it right by opening the discharge area and going with the flat Fusion blades with the older deck. I also had an 03 27/60 in which I did the mod myself. It was a good decision. I have ran doubles with the older decks with great results, but I went back with singles when the new Fusion blades were available. The Fusions threw grass as far as the doubles with less strain. I did run double gators for leaves in the fall with no problems. I really like the new XR7 deck. Some have had issues with the cut in different conditions (I am one). But I can tell you that I don't think there is another company that stands behind their equipment such as Hustler. The online help you get here is 2nd to none. I have been testing a posible fix and will know this week if it is a solution. Hustler is and has been very helpful in any issue I have EVER had. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a leftover 05 Super Z if youre interested. I also can say that the longer wheelbase has not caused me to scalp at all. The added legroom is nice, fully adjustable suspension seat is great. I really like the XR7 and would not think twice about buying one. They will resolve the cutting issue, and when they do I believe it will be one of the finest commercial mowers on the turf. I will post back on the part I am testing this week.

7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Please tell me what you think is causing this problem and if it is a certain size deck or a type of grass and conditions these mowers are in. I have the 66" XR-7 and I just changed the blades for the first time today with 44 hrs. on the mower and I have not seen this deck miss any grass I am cutting so I am very interested in what the difference can be. Thanks for your input.

8. imograss

I got a chance today to really see how the baffle for the cutting issue performed. I cut alot of nice fescue lawns today from 2 3/4 to 4" . The baffle performed night and day difference for the better. Although it didn't look like much when I installed it, it indeed was a fix for me. It discharges a little further (it already spread the clippings way out to begin with). It also chops the clipping up fine. If you cut grass the is 18" high you will have longer clippings, but the regular weekly cutting will not be an issue for the clippings. As I said before my hats off to Hustler and there desire to stand behing their equipment.

9. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I am glad this has solved the problem and if it is that much of a noticeable difference I think Hustler should provide them for every XR-7 deck they have sold. I think it is still a little odd that these decks were tested as long as they said and this never showed up before. The engineers from Hustler need to explain exactly what happened to their customers, this will only make their company stronger.

10. imograss

I see your point. I would say it would be an addition to all XR7's, but I am in no way putting words in Hustler's mouth. As far as I can see, it has no negative affect at all by being and staying on there. I feel like there may be others that are still testing and want to get the overall results before making anything official. Thats just my opinion.It's still hard for me to believe such a small part can make such a big difference.