xr7 deck set up question

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Accu-cut Lawn Care, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

How do I configure my 60" xr7 deck for fine cut, ultra fine cut, and rough cut situations?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You can change your front baffle height, you can also space your blades lower in the deck with optional spacers (part # 791392) and you can also install the filler baffles (part # 107896), now these adjustments are generally made for different grass types and conditions, you will need to adjust for different seasons, drier and more wet conditions also.

Pj

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Front baffle down for a finer cut? Up for rough conditions?

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Front baffles down for rougher conditions, you would also install the blade spacers to get the blades lower in the deck when moving the baffles to the lower position.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

PJ,

How thick are these spacers?

I noticed that the blades are REALLY up in the deck a LOT more than other mowers. Any reason for this?

And by front baffles, you mean those two L brackets bolted to the front baffle...right?

Does Hustler offer a "Turbo Baffle" on the discharge for the XR-7's? I see all kind of square punched holes...

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The spacers are 1/2 inch, and the blades are already 1/2 inch below the front edge of the deck, so when you add the spacers you are 1" below the front edge, this really makes the difference in stubborn grasses in the south.
    As far as the blades being up in the deck, its all part of the XR-7 design, they look higher in the deck because the rear wrapper is lower than the blades, this helps with the airflow in the deck.
    The baffles I am talking about are the "L" shaped ones, they are air control baffles and you move them down when you put the spacers in.
    There is no turbo baffle, those holes are for mounting the Bac-Vac or the mulch kit closure plate.

Pj

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks PJ.

I was thinking of a 1/4" spacer being ideal.

I guess I was thinking the reason for the blades being up under the deck more was simply an "old spindles/new deeper deck" thing. Rather than use longer spindle shafts with these new deeper decks, just see how the old ones do first.

I will still likely try a 1/4" spacer to see how is works.

I will also be trying a set of 3" SUPER high lift DC blades. They look a LOT like the 66" XR-7 blade with a bit more lift foil. They are a shade under 20.5" (because of the width) and are .250 thick and 3" wide. I'm looking for more lift/suction when mowing at 3.5+ inches.

Do you know if the engineers experimented with a Turbo baffle at all?