XR7 mulch kit

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Turf Dawg, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I have a new 66" xr7 and was trying to install the mulch kit. My problem is I can not get the rear pieces on. The rear of my deck does not look like the ilastrations[sp]. I know that you have a north deck and a south deck, do you also have two different mulch kits?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

What is your model and serial #?
    What is the part # of the mulch kit you have?

We changed the kits when we changed the rear baffling of the XR-7 deck last year.

On the latest kit it doesn't matter if you have a A or a B (north) deck, it will work with both.

Kit, Mulch 60", 66", 72" XR-7 Decks Hustler Z / Super Z, part # 106856
    Fits serial # 07020274 and before

Kit, Mulch 66/72" XR-7, Hustler Z / Super Z, part # 108565
    Fits serial # 07020275 and after

3. Turf Dawg

The model & serial #'s for the mower is 928895A and 08040192. I do not have a clue on what the part number of the kit is [but I assume] it may be a old one that was made for triangle V rear baffling. The dealer is working on it also. I also have another ? for you. Is there suppost to be lock washers on the wing bolts that hold on the spindle covers? These thinks keep viberating loose [almost lost one the other day].

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

If it is the older one that would be the problem.
    There is no lock washers on the wing nuts for the deck covers.

Pj

5. Turf Dawg

My new kit is suppost to be in by the 7/1. I was wodering if the mulch kit should come with mulching blades? I know with the other brands I have the kits came with blades and this one did not.
    Also I wanted to ask about the blow-out baffle. Does it work well and does it change the cut any?

I want to thank you for taking time to answer everyones questions. I know it probably gets to be a pain, but this is one of the reasons I wanted to get a Hustler.

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

It will not come with the blades.
    This kit fits 2 different size decks, therefore we cant know which deck your buying it for, so we don't put the blades with the kit.
    The wavy mulching blades you need are part # 798504.
    The blow out baffle works great for stopping the blow out from under the front edge of the deck, for dry conditions or leaves it is very nice.
    It will not affect the cut.
    I am glad to help, keep the questions coming.. lol...lol...

Pj

7. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm thinking about getting a mulch kit for my 66"XR7, how much are they and how hard is it to go back to side discharging?

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

They currently are as follows, but pricing goes up next Friday.

Kit, Mulch 66/72" XR-7, Hustler Z / Super Z, w/o blades part # 108565 MSRP $199
    fits serial # 07020275 and after
    order (3) 798504 wavy mulching blades, the mulch kit does not come with them.

It takes a few minutes to jack up the mower and unbolt the mulch kit and swap out the blades, so it is not a super quick thing to do, but isn't overly hard to do nor does it take to long.

Pj