XR7 stripe kit questions

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Accu-cut Lawn Care, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm having some performance issues from my 60" xr7 striping roller. When i try to set it down to a reasonable height, it pops the deck up like it's going out of style. Not only is this annoying, but when it makes a signifigant contact with the ground at mowing speed, it beats the heck out of my deck. Does Hustler plan on adding a float system in the near future??? Or are they leaving it up to us to make this a usable accessory?

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You need to adjust the roller height for your conditions, sounds like you have it set to low.
    This is a common design that many mfg's are using, this is nothing new.
    I am not aware of any float system we are working on.

Pj

3. Accu-cut Lawn Care

It's not set too low... If it was set any higher, I wouldn't be striping at all. about an inch of vertical travel is needed to keep the deck from elevating when bumps are negotiated. I understand that it is a basic design that everyone uses. But with a little tweaking, it could be truly usable accessory. I'll make a float system and tell you how it goes.

4. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Ours works great! The only time it will pop up is when someone runs over a root, rock, or low stump. Other then that its stripes great and never jumps!

5. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

P.J. I have made a stripe kit for my Super Z that hands down will beat any other roller system and would like to show it to you but would like some help with patents before. I have shown it to my dealer and he agrees that it is the only way to go.

6. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

E-mail me and I will get you in contact with someone that you can talk to this about.

7. Accu-cut Lawn Care

What kind of place are you cutting at? I do a mixture of municipal sports complexes, parks, comm. and res. I have the striper set at the 4th hole from the bottom on the lower bolt and the hoc is about 3.5 inches. Whenever I'm cutting any kind of hump or bump,at this setting, it raises the deck(sometimes into transport). If I had it set any higher, it would stripe no more than not having a striper at all. It needs about an inch of travel to be useful. After my float is designed and fabricated, I'll tell you ya'll how it goes...and you won't even have to sign a nondisclosure agreement.lol

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I fabricated my old YSM Lazer roller onto my SuperZ.

Only had to modify it slightly to fit.....however, it's not adjustable, but it is adjusted FINE for my use.

It hangs about 1" lower than the rear skirt. I use mine more for an anti-scalp roller than anything else. It DOES improve the stripe some though.

Like I said, mine isn't adjustable, but if yours is causing your deck to bounce, trust me, you have it set TOO LOW. I've run this roller for the past 5 years on my Lazer, and it WAS adjustable on it. Too low and you'll get bouncing and gouging on turns. All it has to be is just a bit lower than the rear deck skirt.

I'll get some measurements and pics up for you.

9. Accu-cut Lawn Care

I've been mowing grass for a long time... And I can say with certainty; if the striper was set any higher, it wouldn't lay any grass down at all. I want it to stripe...not just act as an anti scalp unit. Of course it won't bounce if it's set 1 inch down from the skirt. But that is way too high. If that is all it took to stripe, Why would there even be a need for bearings or rolling? All I was trying to say is that the thing needs some travel-and achieving this would not have to be a feat of engineering... some springs, a new bracket, a nut or bolt or two- and voila!!! you are striping. I can't believe these stripers were not engineered to be like this in the first place.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

No springs needed.

I've been using THIS roller for the past 5+ years set up approximately the same height. I think I may have been another 1/4" lower on my Lazer.

However, like I said before, the side benefit of it being an EXCELLENT anti-scalp roller is it's best feature.

This picture shows my rollers height when the deck is set at 3 1/2" actual cut height.

RollerLSsm0003.jpg