XS VS. Laser Z-Which is the mower of choice?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by gunpowder, Mar 28, 2007.

1. gunpowder

gunpowder LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I work for a non-profit that sells their Exmark every year if possible. I currently have a '05 Laser Z 28hp KAW 60" for sale. I couldn't get it sold last year and apparently the dealer's sales were off as well due to the market.

Hopefully this year I can sell it since it only has 93 hours and still a GEM IMO. I like shiny red too ;)

I am looking at the '07 XS and the '07 Laser Z and need to buy what is marketable to ensure best chance of resale next year. My current 27HP KAW boggs down some when I bail hay so I was looking at the BVG's although I am sure they will be noisier being air cooled. Either choice has the KAW's (28 & 29 as well).

These mowers keep getting higher in price and I think I may have passed the max that a buyer is able to pay to get a used machine verses zero % financing from Exmark unless I wholesale my mower through the bottom which I can't do.

My question is: I assumed everyone would move to the XS when they came out but I see the LaZer Z is still popular. Is it the cost return factor? What is the trend?

2. gunpowder

from Indiana

ALSO: 60" or 66" ?

I have a few tight spots that are less than 66" on a few trails. I also have a chainsaw thought :)

3. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

If you go with the XS I would go with the 66 because there is very little trim edge on the XS with a 60.

Personally I would go with the Z unless you really need the added speed. The XS is a big heavy piece of equip (not that the z isn't) and it's best suited on acreage.

I had the 31 briggs on mine and I was amased at the power. It ran smooth and I never had any issues with it.

-TAZ

4. gunpowder

from Indiana

The faster the better though. I am the only employee and have all the office non-profit stuff, educational stuff, and 317 acres of nature with 5 miles of trails and maybe 10+ acres around the buildings, lane, road frontage.

My price for a 35HP 66" XS is between $9K & $9,500. about $1K more than a 31 66" Z

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you have heavy enough work to justify the XS with its larger pumps, weight, engine size etc. That's some good prices!. I may go non profit, I'm pretty close now.

6. AFD

AFD LawnSite Member

Just got two 35hp 66 today. Traded two lazers with 28efi that was 60 inch cuts. I couldn't believe the speed and the power the 35 has. Cuts as good or better then the 28 did. I would go with the 35 hp hands down!

7. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I agree, 35hp 66" XS.

8. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

What did you guys end up paying for your 35/66s?

9. chem1

chem1 LawnSite Member

gunpowder,
    I am looking for a good used exmark, let me know if yours is still for sale.

10. YB Legal

YB Legal LawnSite Member
    from NC

we have two 31/66 xs, they are way sweet. one with a mulch kit to do around flower beds, parking lots and islands. the other without for the open areas. if you can still find the 31 you will probabaly save some money, i think the 35 was about $500 more. i hav ehad no problems cutting with the 31. i like the fact that they cut just like a regular z until you crack open the sticks and it hauls. if you can get a 35/66 for 9500 i would jump on that. best part is when you buy with that bid assiat program with non-profit contracts you just bought a $12,000 mower for $9500. you can run the mower for a couple of years and still sell it and get your money back. just some food for thought.