1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

XT5 Aerator from Turfco

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Michael J. Donovan, Oct 22, 2010.

1. SteveHuffman

SteveHuffman LawnSite Member

Sorry about UPS screwing the delivery up, that still makes us scratch our heads. Im glad you like the machine. PLease keep me informed if you have any question, comments or concerns! Have fun, well as much fun as you can aerating.

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

The XT5 is our preferred walk behind aerator -- my guys fight over it, so I need to get another one. My problem is I have a garage full of "old-style" aerators I need to get rid of. They work fine, but they don't bring much money. Even tried selling a nearly new Lawn Solutions hydrostatic walk-behind aerator for $1900 (still sittin' in the garage). I plan to get rid of several aerators & apply that money toward a TURFCO XT5. BTW, the XT5 is AWESOME for seeding jobs too. If anybody knows of a better machine, please let me know. Also - I have used aerators for sale CHEAP. Thanks

3. Fawcett

Fawcett LawnSite Member

Just placed my order for an XT5. I'm pumped but to be honest my customers are even more excited!
    Can not wait to poke millions of holes in the ground, I'll post a review as soon as it shows up :)
    -Fawcett

4. rwall88

rwall88 LawnSite Member

I see that Turfco Says that the XT5 is steerable and I was wondering if it will turn at the push of a lever or if I have to force it. Turfco told me that it is dual hydro and that i could even theoretically weld a sulky and ride through all the turns. But from the other posts I'm afraid that the salesman was wrong.

5. adam.neusbaum

adam.neusbaum LawnSite Senior Member

Prepare to manhandle!
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

rwall the Turfco is NOT dual hydro. Believe me I own one.
    It is significantly easier to use than the old Ryan style aerators. It WILL require some effort though to turn. You will still sweat. But, you can steer this machine tine-in-ground and reverse which you cannot do with a Ryan type.

7. rwall88

rwall88 LawnSite Member

Thank you for your replies. So I guess a sulky would be pointless on this unit. It's probably still the best out right now. I really wish the exmark dual hydro was available somewhere. That is the perfect aerator. Do you know of an aerator even belt driven that will pull a sulky through turns effortlessly?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

TURFCO XT5 is currently the best walk-behind aerator on the market IMO, but it does not allow standing on a sulky. (correct me if I'm wrong).

Been trying to sell our LS hydro walk-behind with low hours, but folks say "No, I bought an XT5". (Can't blame 'em). my 2 cents

p.s. Do not count out Plugr aerators. They are bada$$ aerators -- just not a fit for us. Plugr is a good outfit with high quality aerators also built in the USA.

9. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Lost my manual ,B&S motor what oil are you using in it?

10. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Castro syntec Edge 0w-30 synthetic. Closer to a 0w-35. Long list of reasons. Cult following on bobistheoilguy.com. German car spec oil. Higher ZDDP. Still SL rated last I checked.