XT5 Aerator from Turfco

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Michael J. Donovan, Oct 22, 2010.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Good stuff there regarding oil. Don't care what small engine you're talkin' about. I think most come with 30 weight or similar from the factory (break in oil). After 30 or 40 hours or so, we switch to full synthetic 5W-30. This has always worked for us.
    Thank WWII for forcing the Germans to develop synthetic motor oil.

2. SongBird

SongBird LawnSite Member

With Turfco being direct ship, is it hard to find a repair shop when needed? I'm in McDonough, GA (south of Atl). I'm ready to buy, but worried about breakdowns.

3. adam.neusbaum

adam.neusbaum LawnSite Senior Member

Consolation is that you are saving money with the direct sales. Look at it as an opportunity to pay yourself $500 to learn your machine inside & out. The owners manual is simple enough to follow so don't worry about it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

5. SongBird

SongBird LawnSite Member

Thanks. I do like the Army green.

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I like the rear loading weight holder/tine cover. Mine has the older side loading one, and when you aerate any sort of slope, the weights can fall out.

7. grandview (2006)

Ground is soft right now so I'm not running any weights in it. Moves much faster too.

8. adam.neusbaum

adam.neusbaum LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone else move the depth adjustment hex screw to the lowest setting. Originally I had done about 30 jobs on factory setting before dropping it a notch. Felt like it sunk & was brutal to maneuver but we've gotten used to it. My shoulder muscles finally developed after daily use.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. grandview (2006)

Banged out 5 lawns today before the rains came. These 3 did in about hour and 45 minutes.

aeration butler dr.jpg

10. pick6333

pick6333 LawnSite Member
    from Il

Question for all you XT5 owners. When soil conditions are very moist and plugs seem to be very soft when you slightly overlap your last pass do the front wheels seem to collect a lot of mud/plugs slowing the machine? I would assume if this does occur the hydro drive would be drastically effected and slow the machine. Here in the Midwest we've had a lot of rain and my PL 800 wheels collet to alot of mud and w/o any drive it becomes very difficult to operate.
    Thoughts?
    Posted via Mobile Device