XT5 Aerator from Turfco

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Michael J. Donovan, Oct 22, 2010.

1. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Only some minor mud on the wheels. I took the weights out of mine because its pulling good plugs and its a lot faster without them on it.

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

DA -- You might be doing something wrong, cuz our XT5 weights have never fallen out. BTW - we plan to buy an Exmark stand-on aerator within weeks. Should be a good combo using the TURFCO XT5 and the Exmark stand-on.

3. SteveHuffman

SteveHuffman LawnSite Member

When aerating the lawn the tines are pulling the machine across the lawn. The front tires are really only used in transport.

4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Did anyone get the new Turfco brochure for the XT5? It says the machine is now 'steerable'. Does this mean they have installed a dual hydro system in it?

5. burnsyscapes

burnsyscapes LawnSite Member

How easy is it to engage disengage the tines?

Is it heavy like the drum style?

6. SteveHuffman

SteveHuffman LawnSite Member

We have not gone dual hydro, what the transmission does is this. When it feels you pulling or pushing the machine to turn it, it senses that and give power to the other side to help “steer” the machine. We have not changed the drive system at all.

As for the engaging of tines it is very easy, besides the machine pulls plugs it’s nothing like a drum style aerator! Way easier to use, hands down!

7. Davis De Iowa

Davis De Iowa LawnSite Member

After months of research I've decided to go with Turfco's Xt5 over my other main choice of the Plugr. Here's why: Ryan's/Bluebirds etc. are the rentals around here and I'm getting too old for that business. Looks like this machine will do well on hillsides and they advertise on that basis. Hydro drive is simpler than the Plugr and the replacement tines are way less expensive. I also like the sub-surface fracturing that a drum sytle provides over the cam-driven design. The price is better than Plugr and I've been hearing that the Plugr beats itself to hell. Lastly, less expensive machine and maintenance items will allow me to charge lower. I saw a guy quoting $150 for overseeding and using his plugr. I could do the same with mine for $100. Customer's care about "value" and not price or what color your machine is. Expected services at an acceptable price.

I've been working with Steve over at Turfco and he's been great and pretty patient with me even though it's busy season and I'm a one man shop only ordering 1 unit. He said that they've worked out the bugs on the Subaru engine which is their $150+ upgrade to the B&S with the larger gas tank. I've always loved the B&S and have no experience with the Subaru but I'm willing to take a chance. I notice that a lot of LCO's rave about their customer service and business relationship and with my recent experience I would agree. Turfco Bob also has a cute youtube video on how to promote your aeration business. I don't think I'll be leaving plugs in baggies on peoples doors anytime soon but he's got some good common sense e.g. don't under charge for this service. Pretty psyched as we've had a drought last 6 months and nothing helps a lawn recover like some good old fashioned plugging and over-seeding. Ground around here has a high clay content so it gets baked like a clay pot in a kiln. Once I get my machine I'll let you know. Curious to see how well this touch-sensitive hydro drive responds. Not sure why not a dual hydro but I'm guessing the drum style wouldn't work well with that as it would tear up a lawn on short turns. We'll see!

8. BPS##

BPS## LawnSite Senior Member
    from WY

I too have decided on either a Turfco or Lawn Solutions (they look so much alike) over the Plugr.
    For a couple reasons, price being one of them.
    Also a friend has a Plugr, he says you cannot turn or back up with them the way the turfco/lawn solutions models do.
    The reason I'm looking for an option like this is because the ryan/blue bird styles really beat a guy up too much.

9. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I'm pretty Plugr loyal but only if its the hydro front wheel drive model. I own two 850HD and a 2010 Lawn Solutions unit. Google search Plugr 850 and lawn solutions and you will see my time lapse video.

The more plugs is great and all but unless you're getting more $ or a clear competitive advantage....gets iffy with clients being convinced more is better.
    :hammerhead:
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. BPS##

BPS## LawnSite Senior Member
    from WY

Yeah the customers pretty much care about one thing. We all know what that is.
    Every thing else comes in a very distant second.